Thread: CCH - AKL in 4 days

Default CCH - AKL in 4 days

Jucy Car Rentals is currently offering a free car including Interislander (car) ticket.
    Thanks to Jet Star I could grab a cheap seat to CCH. I have 4 days time, and I am wondering if I should go for the Jucy offer and drive a car up to AKL.

Possible day planning:
    Day 1: arrival in CCH & Christchurch City tour
    Day 2: early morning departure to Kaikoura - whale watching tour, then drive to Picton and take the Interislander to Wellington
    Day 3: Wellington
    Day 4: Departure to AKL

other possibility:
    Day 1: arrival in CCH, drive up to Picton and enjoy Marlborough area
    Day 2: early morning departure with Interislander & Wellington
    Day 3: Wellington and drive up to New Plymouth
    Day 4: New Plymouth - Aucklnad

Any recommendations, or would you recommend to stay in CCH and area? (CCH, Kaikoura, Hanmer Springs)

We found the whale watching hugely disapointing - very very commercial with added ecomentalist rantings whilst you'e no chance to escape (on boat, forced to sit in seats whilst staff member rants about japanese fishermen and why sabotage is justified). If you do end up there, then the coast walk just to the south by the seals was way way better.

Just saw that YourWay Car Rental is offering $5/day for ALL car types to drive from Christchurch to Auckland, up to 7 day rental limit. Includes ferry crossing.

Offer expires 28 Feb 2011.

Would be glad if others spot similar offers, especially those that run in the middle of summer, not before (like Jucy).

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    We found the whale watching hugely disapointing - very very commercial with added ecomentalist rantings whilst you'e no chance to escape (on boat, forced to sit in seats whilst staff member rants about japanese fishermen and why sabotage is justified). If you do end up there, then the coast walk just to the south by the seals was way way better.
    Wouldn't pay for it myself especially given that I have seen whales many times whilst at sea in my time in the RN. On one instance I came across a about 40-50 whales, young and old, in the middle of the Indian Ocean. We slowed down and just took in an amazing experience. Would add, the first whale I came across was just off Iceland on our way to Reykjavic.

kejktfc

We thought the whale trip was worth every penny, but we got lucky and actually saw some whales. So I would not recommend your first option.

I use http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php to work out driving times. It might give you and idea how much sightseeing vs driving you'd get over the 4 days.

Great pointer, lnz! I've been using Google Maps which is more interactive and lets you see what's along the route.

BTW, I mis-read the terms for my earlier pst. YourWay doesn't include the ferry crossing. Apologies!
    Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    Just saw that YourWay Car Rental is offering $5/day for ALL car types to drive from Christchurch to Auckland, up to 7 day rental limit. Includes ferry crossing.