Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for American foods.

Default I'm looking for American foods.

Anyone know of an "American food store" anywhere in NZ? I see British food stores all the time and I was wondering if there's an American equivalent anywhere.

I'm specifically looking for:

- New England Clam Chowder (Campbell's Chunky makes a great one but I can never find the Clam Chowder variety here. )

- Clams! Out of desperation for some NE Clam Chowder, I thought of making my own, but I can't find clams in NZ! And mussels are not the same.

- A1 steak sauce. HP just doesn't cut it.

- Ranch dressing. I can only find Newman's Own brand of ranch, which isn't too bad, but I want to find something better.

Any pointers will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Guavagirl View Post
    - Clams! Out of desperation for some NE Clam Chowder, I thought of making my own, but I can't find clams in NZ! And mussels are not the same.
    You can get NZ Clams, check out your local supermarket.

Note: In NZ Clams are also called Cockles which is their traditional NZ name.

Ian

Aren't we all, Guavagirl?

If you find any of these items, let me know--as I like clam chowder too!

Funny story: had a bottle of Hidden Vally Ranch that came in a box. But we had been chemical free for so long, that when we opened it --it was disgusting. Really truly horrible. It tasted like chemical soup. But that was after 18 months here.

I find Dr Pepper (with high fructose corn syrup though!) and american candy in odd places. Mad Butcher has almond joy and Reese's peanut butter cups (at least the one on Main North Rd does).

I am still desperately seeking GRAHAM CRACKERS!

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    You can get NZ Clams, check out your local supermarket.

Note: In NZ Clams are also called Cockles which is their traditional NZ name.

Ian
    You go first, Guavagirl.

Report back please.

There's a place called 'Martha's Backyard' in Auckland, I regularly cycle past it but never actually gone in. Should give it a try, though.

As for the clam chowder, I used to live on the Campbell's soup variety while in college in the States (well, that an ramen noodles, obviously), but I have never been able to find it anywhere else. If you do find it, please let me know as well!

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    Aren't we all, Guavagirl?

If you find any of these items, let me know--as I like clam chowder too!

Funny story: had a bottle of Hidden Vally Ranch that came in a box. But we had been chemical free for so long, that when we opened it --it was disgusting. Really truly horrible. It tasted like chemical soup. But that was after 18 months here.

I find Dr Pepper (with high fructose corn syrup though!) and american candy in odd places. Mad Butcher has almond joy and Reese's peanut butter cups (at least the one on Main North Rd does).

I am still desperately seeking GRAHAM CRACKERS!
    I was told just the other day that the big Asian food store on Cashel sells graham crackers. Haven't been there yet...

Order Hidden Valley ranch dry packets from the States and mix it with milk and Best Foods mayo. ...way better than the bottled stuff.

Guavagirl-do you have US friends/family who can send items to you? The post office has international boxes that can be stuffed full and shipped at a very reduced price;even cheaper if the postage is bought online. The boxes are free at the post office but they must be the international ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    Just had similar happen to me; I started making my own chili 3 years ago. While preparing for a recent camping trip, I remembered how much I loved Dennisons chili and brought 2 cans. When we cooked them up on the trip I was shocked at how disgustingly fake it tasted!

Don't know of any specific store but New World supermarkets often have a fair international aisle. the south city mall one in Christchurch has a couple of rows and even the one at Eastgate manages a good half an aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Order Hidden Valley ranch dry packets from the States and mix it with milk and Best Foods mayo. ...way better than the bottled stuff.
    I make it from scratch now. It's awesome!!

Fresh dill is the best! And homemade mayo and yogurt !
    Last edited by GrumpyGoat; 24th October 2010 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast