Thread: Vans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vans

Why are vans so expensive in NZ? I have noticed the vast majority are Totyota Hiace and that some main dealers do not import vans eg. Renault, but I still cannot understand the lack of depreciation of vans here.

Year 1995 Hiace are going for several thousand dollars. 2002 Transit vans are going for 15- 20k. This is 3 times the price of vans sold in the UK.

Can somone explain the reason for this to me?

Cheers
    Rich

We noticed that, too, but not sure why that is. Small pick-up trucks (utes?) are not widely available either and it surprises me as it seems they would be perfect for so many NZ lifestyles.

interestingly, vans trainers are pretty steep too!

Spin side is of course that when you sell it then you'll get most of your money back. And of course frame the question as 'why are vans so impossibly cheap in US/UK when you consider that it still works, and there is jsut a few dings in the paint'.

Given the reduced volume of production of vans comapred to cars, then how many Transit plants are there - are the NZ ones built and shipped from Belgium?

they keep their value because there is a heck of a lot of backpackers who arrive and buy the vans to live in for the duration of the NZ trip. We see a lot of buying and selling of them at the backpackers hostel and it always amazes me how much people are prepared to pay for them.

Are people talking vans as in UK-speak here - things with solid sides - or NZ-speak, where vans are what in the UK we'd call people-carriers or even mini-buses?