Thread: childminding in NZ

Default childminding in NZ

Hi All

I will be coming to NZ in December and am looking into becoming a childminder. Does anyone know what qualifications, government requirements, insurances etc are needed? I have two young boys and am thinking this would be a good way to earn a few pennies whilst my little ones are still at pre-school age.

We'll probably be living in Auckland. If anyone has any information or could tell me if there is a shortage of childminders (or maybe there are too too many?) I would really appreciate your advice.

Angela

I'm not really sure to be honest but early childhood education is a big thing here. I don't think in home care requires the same qualification levels as daycare and kindergarten but for more information you could always look at PORSE

http://www.porse.co.nz/

They are a big company here when it comes to in house care, so they may have lots of helpful information.

My friend here did that exact thing with homegrown kids. for younger children.

I also notice there is a woman who picks up kids at the local school at 3:00 with the same "homegrown kids" sign on her mini van.

Thanks guys... i'm confused with the terminology. Is a "nanny" and a "childminder" one and the same over there. Over here a childminder would be kids that you look after in your own home and a "nanny" you would be in their home. I would like to look after the children in my own home. Maybe the parents dropping them off before kindy and me doing the kindy runs and giving them some dinner before the parents coming to collect them when they've finished work. I'd always define a nanny as someone that went to the child's house, and be responsible for a bit of housework/washing and that sort of thing too.

Angela

I know a couple of people here who have become 'child-minders' as we know it from the UK, although there seems to be more vetting of people here as far as I can tell. They are required to follow the NZ early childhood education programme and are part of Bardnados Kidstart:

http://www.barnardos.org.nz/Care%20a...20introduction