Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It just seems too easy!

Default It just seems too easy!

Hey helpfuls/hopefuls,

My wife and I are primary school teachers. I have a PGCE from Warwick Uni, and Nahida (my wife, if you didn't guess ) has a PGCE from Birmingham Uni.

I've read about all sorts of dramas with teaching qualifications and getting them varified, but I have just looked on the NZQA website - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35607.htm - and it says that our qualifications are ones that do not need to be assessed. Can this possibly be true?! It just seems too easy!

Am I missing something? Will the New Zealand Teachers Council question my qualifications anyway? Have I followed the links on the NZQA website appropriately? Am I completely bonkers?!

I would be grateful for any advice you can provide.

Thanks!

Dan

You have to get an assessment from NZQA for the Teachers Council --if you want to work as a teacher.

But for Immigration, they will recognize your stuff (for points etc) without the assessment.

Yes, GG's quite right. You're looking at two independent procedures here - the application for residency on the one hand, and the registration with the teachers' professional body, without which you can't teach in NZ, on the other. But although Immigration NZ recognize your qualifications in themselves, they will ALSO want to know that you're registered with NZTC, for which your qualifications have to be assessed by NZQA. It's all a bit surreal. (Just be glad you're not nurses - even English born, raised and educated nurses have to pass the IELTS to prove they speak English. )

Brilliant!

Thank you very much for your help - seems a little crazy, but I will get on the case...

Thanks again,

Dan

The other reason to have it done is that the NZQA assessment will be used for salary scale assignment. Without an NZQA ranking of your qualification you will be paid at the lowest level on the scale.

Hey Milleiandme,

That is a marvellous bit of info! Thank you very much indeed )

Dan

P.S. Am I right in thinking it costs NZ$750 for each application?!

Quote Originally Posted by dan-ish View Post
    Am I right in thinking it costs NZ$750 for each application?!
    Yes, you're right....
    $746 plus the return courier fee of $41

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...sessment-fees/

When applying make sure you 'tick' the bit that asks if you want them to send their result direct to the Teaching Council (this speeds things up). You can then apply for NZQA and TC at the same time

I am currently a teacher, but am considering starting my own business in NZ...I have done a PAR to start the EOI, did I need to?
    I am confused
    So, am I right in thinking the EOI will not require me to get my quals assessed? I get them assessed over there if my business plan fails? Sorry for sounding think, I'm not, honest There so much to get my head around at the moment :s

You don't necessarily need to go in on the Skilled Migrant stream. If you are going to start a business, one of the business-related routes may be a better option for you. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/invest/

Thanks for that JandM, looked into Business visas but there is a lot of money to invest etc, skilled migrant seems the simplest route in for us...and if my business idea does not work out then I always have my teaching to fall back on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast