Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you find Kiwis anti-American?

Default Do you find Kiwis anti-American?

Recently I've been reading a lot of bad press concerning Kiwi stereotypes and treatment of Americans. Specifically, that Americans are not well liked in the country and that many have chosen to go home based on discrimination both in general and at their jobs. Would you honestly find this to be true? Or would you say discrimination is no worse in NZ than in other places worldwide? If it's the case that its worse, I would like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by new horizon View Post
    Recently I've been reading a lot of bad press concerning Kiwi stereotypes and treatment of Americans. Specifically, that Americans are not well liked in the country and that many have chosen to go home based on discrimination both in general and at their jobs. Would you honestly find this to be true? Or would you say discrimination is no worse in NZ than in other places worldwide? If it's the case that its worse, I would like to know what I'm getting myself into.
    I would say there is some anti American sentiment here and a general xenophobia about many parts of the world from New Zealanders, but I don't think it is worse than most places. It depends on what your background is and if you have felt discriminated against where you are from. I come from a white middle class background and didn't feel any sort of discrimination against my immediate appearance or accent in the US, so it was surprising and uncomfortable to me to be looked at and treated by some as an immigrant in NZ.

The Kiwi's that stereotype have the usual American list under their belts, and don't realize how large and diverse a country the US is, so like all prejudice it comes from ignorance. It is usually not overt but can wear on your nerves over time.

For the record we are leaving—anti Americanism is not the top reason on our list, but it is on there.

Thanks.
    Nope - Been here two years and have lots of Kiwi friends (as well as Brit, Aussie, etc.) If a Kiwi doesn't like an American, chances are it is for reasons other than their nationality..

Well I'm also from a white, middle class background. I've actually never had to deal with discrimination before, and I don't have a lot of tolerance for narrow-mindedness in its forms. I'm pretty outspoken about others being treated negatively based on labels. It's unfortunate to hear I may have to expect some of this treatment in the future.

Can anyone else comment on this topic?

There have been folks on here that have had problems. I think maybe they landed in a nest of jerks; IMO the majority of Kiwis are pleasant people.
    I think how you perceive and respond to Yank comments has a big part to play. I've gotten a few and I treated them like friendly jabs and tried to say something witty but inoffensive in return.
    Mind you, I'm only a frequent visitor; maybe the true colors come out when you live and work there!

I was thinking that there probably was a little bit of truth and a little bit of misconception concerning these reports. I think a lot of reports do deal with circumstances beyond mere labeling and stereotyping. Perhaps jokes were taken wrong some of the time, and perhaps a person may have been less than great to be around and attributed a bad reaction to their nationality. I just want to make sure I'm not walking into a maelstrom of prejudice with my chances of being treated respectfully and landing a good job!

I just want to make sure I'm not walking into a maelstrom of prejudice with my chances of being treated respectfully and landing a good job!
    I would doubt that would be the case. Plus a maelstrom isn't the Kiwi style, you are more likely to run into passive aggressive behavior, but definitely not from all New Zealanders.

I haven't really gotten much of anything aside from some mild ribbings from people.

I've hung out with a few farmers in my time here too and have had no problems with them (especially once they heard my language and weren't afraid to speak as they normally would around me).

My experiences:
    I have run into quite a few who don't like American politics --but they always love me because I don't like American politics either!
    I think you might have some real issues if you support the war machine etc--as I have found Kiwis to be MUCH more informed on the truth about american political scene than most americans.

American pop culture permeates the country--TV, music, movies, etc. So many of the teenagers you run into (cashiers at the grocery store for example) will be enamored with your accent and may wistfully tell you about their longings to move to america.

I have never had any problems that I could directly attribute to being american. I may have wondered if that had anything to do with the issue but I have never had any kind of confirmation. But that may be more my paranoia than anything real??

Hi,

please see this old thread about anti-americanism. Plenty of posts there (including my own) !

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast