Thread: Calling US and UK

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Calling US and UK

Aside from Skype, if I want to call the US or UK, has anyone got any recommendations for phone cards or calling services?

We don't have a home phone at the moment, as we got Vodafone Naked broadband. Only have mobiles and work landlines, or VOIP calls on the pooter.

Thanks

Vodaphone PAYG is only $2 for as long as you talk (May be up to an hour limit?). So if it's lots of short calles then expensive, but for a weekly natter then I didn'tthink that was too bad. Sure there are otehr options though, but for convenience that works for me and I normally Skype anyway.

Oh, to landlines only, so no use for calling to mobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Vodaphone PAYG is only $2 for as long as you talk (May be up to an hour limit?). So if it's lots of short calles then expensive, but for a weekly natter then I didn'tthink that was too bad. Sure there are otehr options though, but for convenience that works for me and I normally Skype anyway.

Oh, to landlines only, so no use for calling to mobiles.
    Yep, we use the Vodaphone $2 calls - seems crazy that I can call the UK for up to an hour on my mobile and it's cheaper than using the landline, or making mobile calls within NZ. The calls can be short as it doesn't take long to hit the $2 mark, but it's the most you'll pay, anytime, anyday

ETA: https://www.vodafone.co.nz/2-for-60/
    Last edited by YouMeAndThree; 19th October 2010 at 11:28 AM.

When our close friends were in NZ we used Web Call Direct http://www.webcalldirect.com/en/index.html and it was great. Haven't used them for a while so I don't know current details, but at the time it was 5 cents an hour. You need a computer to place the call but it picks up on your regular phone.

When not using Skype to call the US, we use Google talk. It's free and the sound quality is brilliant (better than our land-line).

We use Vodafone $2 as well

I know you dont have a landline yet but when you get settled in permanelty this may work for you.

We recently got a landline and broadband (long sad, tragic story) and it is through Telecom. They have an option for $30 a month of calling all over the world and talking up to 2 hours per call. If you need to talk longer than 2 hours, you just hang up and call again.