Thread: Hint for Packing

Default Hint for Packing

Thought this might be useful to others making the move.

When the chap from Crown came round to give us a quote, he suggested we got vacuum bags to compress bedding like duvets and pillows. That way they take up far less space in the container.

I checked around and M&S do them, but there's some cheap and cheerful ones from Dunelm which are £5.99 for two (one enormous, one just large). Once we got the vacuum cleaner onto them, they reduced our duvets quite impressively. Just hoping this gets us into a 20' container without the predicted overflow.

Jos

Argos do them as well, £14 for 6 IIRC. Or perhaps it was 3, and we bought multiple sets. Were OK quality, had one split, but the rest were good as gold.

How soon are you getting packed, Jos?

Yeah, we used space bags to fit our faux-down feather duvet AND fluffy comforter into one enormous one. By themselves, they would've barely fit in the box but after sucking the air out they only took up like 1/4 of the box. my favorite part of packing was vaccuuming the bags

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Argos do them as well, £14 for 6 IIRC. Or perhaps it was 3, and we bought multiple sets. Were OK quality, had one split, but the rest were good as gold.
    We just did similar packing, OH did all kind of research. The quality of vaccum bags was just ok (make sure you don't open and close it too many times), once the vaccum packs were opened in NZ they were good to be thrown away.

Going off on a slight tangent, are such bedding (duvet, quilt, blankets...) affordable in NZ? I'm only bringing a suitcase so I don't think any amount of vacuuming will do me any good

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    Going off on a slight tangent, are such bedding (duvet, quilt, blankets...) affordable in NZ? I'm only bringing a suitcase so I don't think any amount of vacuuming will do me any good
    They are fine in price in the never ending sales at Briscoes......but they have really low TOG values so are fine for summer but not really for the cold Kiwi winters. Last time I went back to the UK I brought three high TOG value covers back in my suitcases

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    How soon are you getting packed, Jos?
    Starting to pack now - removals in 9-11 Nov, so panic truly setting in

Gosh us to, 10-12, very scared I'm gonna forget something!! Great quote from Letton Percival BTW on insurance over £1000 cheaper than the removal company. Any more advice on getting stuff in a 20ft container