Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wicker - go, or no go?

Default Wicker - go, or no go?

Anyone had problems getting wickerwork into NZ?

All the removals guys said it was a no-no, but we have a wicker filing box that we're really attached to and don't want to have to leave behind. Is there any way of getting it allowed in? Vanish it, for instance?

From my research it seems the problem is the sheer hassle factor, when MAFF inspect.
    They see wicker on the manifest and might want to see it & perhaps fumigate it.

I ditched all my wicker baskets at my yard sale, or filled them with dry goods from my cupboard and gave them away as a hamper to friends & neighbours.

I brought two wicker chairs which we were attached to and got the guys to put them near the doors of the container...... like all the other stuff that they said needed to be near the doors for MAFF inspection. They sailed through literally they were more interested in my xmas decorations and the box of wine that we brought through that had our own labels on them ..... oh hum!!!!

Lots of members in the past have reported that their wicker furniture has been fine at entry, despite dire warnings from the packing company. As with wood, what might be a worry is untreated stuff that could be hiding/supporting life. If they see a piece of furniture that has been around in someone's house for several years, and is clean and cherished, it will probably pass on the nod. If they're not sure, it could be fumigated (but it will survive and you'll still have it).

I have brought lots of baskets, and wicker furniture no problems now twice I just rubbed over them with a soft cloth and a little jeys yes they inspect them but i have never had any problems do not throw them away as they cost a lot to replace!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_n_jos View Post
    Anyone had problems getting wickerwork into NZ?

All the removals guys said it was a no-no, but we have a wicker filing box that we're really attached to and don't want to have to leave behind. Is there any way of getting it allowed in? Vanish it, for instance?
    Do a bit a research here in the forum and you will find there are quite some people (including us) who imported wicker ... successfully

Quote Originally Posted by catt View Post
    they were more interested in [...] the box of wine that we brought through that had our own labels on them ..... oh hum!!!!
    Sorry a bit OT, catt were you able to bring them in?

our container was the one that customs decided to Xray and they found a couple of boxes of wine and an ornamental pistol. i got a call from crown who put the customs guy on and i talked my way out of it by being really nice and being "blonde" ..... he ended up laffing and saying dont do it again. no charge and no problem in the end and we have enjoyed the wine and i sold the pistol (which was a gift from OHs brother) on trade me for $150.....i wouldnt have given you $5 for it personally but then they seem to buy anything here.

Wish we had brought ours, we ditched it all and it is going to cost us a fortune to replace it. The shipping people made it sound a complete no, but I think they don't like it rather than it being a real problem.

We brought lots of seagrass and wicker stuff despite our shippers saying we wouldn't be allowed to take it into NZ. I contacted MAF directly and they said it would probably be inspected but usually causes no issues. And fumigation is nowhere near as expensive as people are led to believe....

See this thread....

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast