Thread: Anyone imported a non-runner?

Default Anyone imported a non-runner?

We have a classic vehicle which we've been doing up over the past few years. It is in the paint shop atm and has no interior or engine in it - obviously no rust and a nice new paint job when it gets back to us. Just wondered what the implications of having a car arrive in this condition at the port! We've called every agency we can think of and doesn't seem to be an issue until it's ready to go on the road but I am a bit worried they might hold it at the port expecting certification or something silly!

Any ideas or experience anyone?

Unless it's going to be used on the public road then it's not actually a car is it? In the sense that without an engine or gearbox, then it's a pile of metal. You can import a go-kart without any problems (MAF excepted), it's the approval to use the vehicle on public roads that's the tricky bit. No guaranteeign that will ever happen, but I can't imagine there is anything to stop you briniging it in for use on private property.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Unless it's going to be used on the public road then it's not actually a car is it? In the sense that without an engine or gearbox, then it's a pile of metal. You can import a go-kart without any problems (MAF excepted), it's the approval to use the vehicle on public roads that's the tricky bit. No guaranteeign that will ever happen, but I can't imagine there is anything to stop you briniging it in for use on private property.
    That's what we thought, but then you start talking to the removal companies and they put the willies up you! And from what I've read on here some shaft you afterwards too!

It should be no problem on import. The fun comes when you need to get it registered but that goes for any car whatever condition they arrive in. Best to import it 'as a car' rather than spare parts because it will be much easier to register it as a classic if it is 'in the system' from day one. You will need the log book AND proof of ownership. The latter is quite hard to come by when you've owned the car for a good many years. I got away with just the log book, although I did point out to them that it is NOT proof of ownership. You also need the recorded mileage.

A friend of ours imported a Triumph somethingorother that he had lovingly restored, but never got it registered to use on the roads here because of the stringent requirements. I don't know the details, but the NZ transport folk wanted to know so much about the car that he would have damn near had to take it apart to be able to show them. So he sold it for a song.
    Sorry if that's a bit vague, but basically look very carefully into the rego requirements before you commit to bringing it.