Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats Whangarei like?

Default Whats Whangarei like?

Hi all,

I've been potentially asked to move to Whangarei from Auckland with my job. As we only landed in NZ on the 23rd October I haven't a clue what this area is like as I spent all of my time researching Auckland as this is where I was to be based.

We are a family of 3, with a 2 year old son.

Whats the area like for schools, shopping etc etc??

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been potentially asked to move to Whangarei from Auckland with my job. As we only landed in NZ on the 23rd October I haven't a clue what this area is like as I spent all of my time researching Auckland as this is where I was to be based.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
    Nick
    Hi Nick

I will be able to tell you in about 4 weeks as thats where we are heading, been told it is a beautiful area with lots of beaches nearby, a bit away from the rat race of auckland but not too far to be able to visit.

david

Quote Originally Posted by Fletchaman View Post
    Hi Nick

I will be able to tell you in about 4 weeks as thats where we are heading, been told it is a beautiful area with lots of beaches nearby, a bit away from the rat race of auckland but not too far to be able to visit.

david
    Hey, great news for you David.

We are yet to decide formally as I was only asked today, so it looks like I've got a whole new research project ahead!

Good luck and report back.

Cheers,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post
    Hi all,

Any help would be great!

Cheers,
    Nick

Been up a couple of times and recently spent a week there on a camp during half term for Youthserve. Really like the place, and some beautiful beaches and coast line. Can't comment on schools etc etc, but certainly a place I would consider living in the future.

It has generally taken me about an hour and half to two hours to travel to and from West Auckland when I have travelled up there so certainly in reach of the big city.

kejktfc

We always get a good feeling when we're in Whangarei and are seriously considering moving that way ourselves. The people always seem to be happy and the city has definitely improved over the last few years. Lots and lots of shopping facilities, huge stores, lots of choice, nice cafes/restaurants etc. very laid back driving attitude, friendly people on the streets etc. Plus pretty good weather.

We have lived up here for almost a year. Unless you are a confirmed shopping bunny or might life freak, it's great up here! Just enough shops, restaurants etc to keep you going, all the big names. With a small one, the preschools are nice (according to friends) and there's a big selection of schools for later. Houses MUCH cheaper than Auckland. People VERY friendly. Feel free to ask specific questions if you want any other info.

I grew up a little in Whangarei, though compact, generally relaxed, friendly as noted above. Do check out the Tutukaka Coast, Ngunguru Bay, Parua, The camping ground "The Nook" (if still present) if you like privacy, beach excursions, etc. Also before Whangarei, along Ruakaka/Marsden point, Waipu Cove...

Hi Have lived in Whangarei for 15 months. Lovely place if you love the sea beaches and outdoor life. Town is a good place with most shops and necessities available. There are some lovely areas around and some not so nice places (like anywhere really). Schools are generally good particularly Maunu, Whangarei primary, Glenbervie but many others are excellent also. Let me know if you need any further help.

Hi - can anyone give any input with regard to schools in the Whangarei area /outskirts.

Primary , Intermediate and High Schools. Whangarei Boys school seems like the obvious choice - decile rating is not so high but I know this doesn't always indicate how 'good' the school is.

Any info would be great.

Many thanks

Hi lived in Whangarei for last 7 months with hubby and son (7), love the place, We live out of town by 10 minutes at Onerahi and our son goes to Onerahi Primary he loves it and has settled in great, so much more for the kids to do here and at school. The people up here are very friendly and go out of their way to help you, nothing seems too much trouble. PM me if you have any questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast