Thread: Suggestions regarding PR options

Default Suggestions regarding PR options

Hi All,

I am sure that you knowledgeable people out here can help me out make a decision.

Here is our situation. Me and my girlfriend would like to immigrate to New Zealand and get a permanent residence.

I was on a student visa to New Zealand. After finishing the course, I took the graduate job search visa, however i never used the visa as due to some compulsions i had to return back home.

Now, back home, i’m self employed and operating a successful Software related business.

And I still have a few months of Job search visa left.

At the moment, I have the option to go to NZ and search for an IT job, which would give me sufficient points to apply for a PR.

However, one major issue here is is that i’ would need to compromise on running the business.
    And there’s no surety of a job coming my way during the holiday season.

The other option i’ve been thinking about is my gf applying on a student visa in a short skilled qualification and i accompanying her on an open work permit for partner/spouse.

But i have a few doubts regarding this:

1) Although me and my gf know each other for quite some time but we have never lived together.

So,do you think we’ll have to live together for a year to have sufficient relationship proofs for INZ ?

2) The open work permit would allow me to continue working in my business(which i can do remotely). Is that right?

3) I’ve been self-employed/freelancing for over 3 years and the work duties that i perform are listed on absolute short skills list under one of the categories for ICT.

But i’m not sure if i can claim points for a skill listed under absolute shortage if i'm self-employed/contracting.

Does it have to be a Full time job at a corporate/firm to be able to claim points under SMC?

If i can claim points for we would have sufficient points to apply for PR.

Or otherwise one of us to has to get a job after a year’s stay to claim sufficient points.

4) Do you think INZ would have any issues that i took a Graduate Work Visa but never used it and now i’m applying on a partner/spouse visa to enter NZ ?

What do you guys think? Is there an option for both of us going together?

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.
    Last edited by nzseeker; 27th October 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Language editing for better explaination

Hi,
    Here are some of my thoughts:
    1) Yes
    Your partner can be included in your application if you have been living together in a genuine and stable partnership for a minimum period of 12 months. You need so supply evidence of this relation: marriage certificate, joint mortgage, tenancy agreements, joint bank accounts, money transfers between your accounts, correspondence to you and your partner at the same address, photographs together etc.

2) I think so. I can't see why not.

3) I think you can claim points for your work experience if you can prove this on a contract basis. You can ask NZIS by e-mail about that and explain your specific situation.
    You also can gain bonus points if your qualification is in an area of absolute skills shortage even if you don't have skilled employment in NZ and if your qualification is listed in the fourth column of the LTSSL.

4) I don't think NZIS will have any issues with your never-used visa.

Hope you can find your best solution.
    Wish you well

1) From what I know & have read it all along, you need to stay under one roof to prove stable relationship, bills/receipts at common address, joint tenancy agreements etc.

2) Haven't heard of "open work permit" but as long as your visa is not tied to your current employer, you can work for anyone. Do check how double taxation is done, if that applies to you/your business

3) I think (not completely sure), you can apply for SMC but will have to provide all proofs of employment. Someone who has applied through this route might help you more (I did come across some posts around this, just search for them)

Once either of you have sufficient points, you can take a step towards applying but do some research on your first question about relationship evidence & if that would count.

4) I think INZ will be in better position to answer this. I had a visitor visa and work visa that I never used, though our CO questioned about it but that wasn't a showstopper for me.

All the best! Just to reiterate, all the above info is just based on my borrowed/second-hand knowledge and not an immigration advice :-)
    Last edited by Sun777; 28th October 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Thank you so much guys, that really is some sort of reassurance.