Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT job in security field

Default IT job in security field

Hi, I am in the process of getting the SFV, and if successful will be traveling to Auckland beginning next year... maybe in late Feb.

I am wandering what is the market like in Auckland for IT security? I have been in the It field for over 11 years, and for the last few year are working on windows platform on solution providing in security, as well as governance.
    I have certification like CISSP, CISA, GSEC, CEH, CHFI, ECSA, MCSE.

I would like to know if it is easy to find work in this field?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo268 View Post
    Hi, I am in the process of getting the SFV, and if successful will be traveling to Auckland beginning next year... maybe in late Feb.

I am wandering what is the market like in Auckland for IT security? I have been in the It field for over 11 years, and for the last few year are working on windows platform on solution providing in security, as well as governance.
    I have certification like CISSP, CISA, GSEC, CEH, CHFI, ECSA, MCSE.

I would like to know if it is easy to find work in this field?
    Hello!

My husband is in IT Security too and we plan to move to Wellington in 2012.

Based on search results from job search website, there are quite a number of openings for IT Security specific in both Auckland and Wellington.

So i would say its fairly easy?

Donot take count on trademe or seek as a valid count. As one job is advertised multiple times by the same recruiter. Its possible from 6 job adverts u end on a single job.
    Be careful in this regard and get info from people who r in industry.
    regards

Thanks Ocean, I would like to know if anyone is in this field in NZ? It is a very specialized field there? What are the skill that are interested by the company who is hiring?

So there is good news and bad news......on the good news side there are several government initiatives in the telco and IT space that should drive work. For example there are current pushes for e-government and e-health.

Like Australia there is also a big government subsidized push into Ultrafast Broadband (or fibre to the home) (it’s called NBN in Aus). The initial recipients of the government subsidise should have been announced by the end of October…so they have a few hours left 9I’m guessing they will be a bit late) So far three regions have been awarded (Hamilton, Whangerei and Timaru).

Initially the ‘quid pro quo’ is the regional fibre providers must target public and government buildings first (schools, hospital, police stations etc.) but can drop service to residential and business they pass.

This should be an enabler for more IT and Multimedia type services for the government, business and residential. Indeed there are already questions being asked about just what services will be carried on this government subsidized network (after all who the heck needs 10/100 gbt/s in their home when you can get HS IPTV on ADSL2+ or VDSL?).

However (and here’s the bad news for you if you are looking for a job now) forecasts of both growth of UFB and the services they support are VERY slow so applications and the security they require will probably be at least a couple of years away. Of course some firms might ‘tool up’ in advance but frankly the IT and Telco industry here tends to be reactive rather than proactive.

In the meantime – can you splice optical fibres or dress as a Hobbitt?

Thanks Ocean, I would like to know if anyone is in this field in NZ? It is a very specialized field there? What are the skill that are interested by the company who is hiring?
    I know of someone (originally from Singapore) working in the IT Security field in Wellington for about 2 years now

Thanks Wooly Cow for the info, it does seem that the scene is not so good at the moment...

fayevalentine,

Thanks for your info, any comment can be gotten from your friend?

fayevalentine,

Thanks for your info, any comment can be gotten from your friend?
    2 years back when he was finding a job, took him about 3months

If you've made the decision to try it out in NZ then you have to at least go over and try to look for a job as chances are much higher when you are there in person. Then at least you can say you've tried... well at least thats what i think

Well, I am CCIE Security and looking for role in NZ. Anyone working in Telco or Cisco Gold Partner? please msg me or skype me any time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast