Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singapore math books

It's because of the awesome scores of Singaporean students on the TIMSS in years past.
    The TIMSS is a math and science test that takes place every few years and compares students globally.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    I guess you don't call it "Singapore math" over there, do you?

Probably just "Math"
    Hahaha yeah... hated maths throughout my schooling days which was why opted to study Mass Comm. in Uni.

Do let me know if you guys need help. I always visit the bookshops anyway

It's because of the awesome scores of Singaporean students on the TIMSS in years past.
    The TIMSS is a math and science test that takes place every few years and compares students globally.
    Singaporean students are known to be very hardworking and Kiasu (singapore lingo, it means afraid to lose) when it comes to their Studies (not me though) hahaha

From an early age (about 12 years old), kids go for private tution after school hours. Sometimes they can go for up to 5 tutions a week (including weekends)

Often you hear parents comparing test results of their kids and comments like "oh my girl only scored 80/100, she could have done better" Well, to me 80 is a very good grade!

Even our minister is urging us to strive for excellence. Getting grade A1 (score of >75) is not enough. U need to AIM HIGHER, cannot be complacent!

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10...lence-tharman/

I say this small country is a pressure cooker

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    Singaporean students are known to be very hardworking and Kiasu (singapore lingo, it means afraid to lose) when it comes to their Studies (not me though) hahaha

From an early age (about 12 years old), kids go for private tution after school hours. Sometimes they can go for up to 5 tutions a week (including weekends)

Often you hear parents comparing test results of their kids and comments like "oh my girl only scored 80/100, she could have done better" Well, to me 80 is a very good grade!

Even our minister is urging us to strive for excellence. Getting grade A1 (score of >75) is not enough. U need to AIM HIGHER, cannot be complacent!

http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10...lence-tharman/

I say this small country is a pressure cooker
    Wow now there's an eye-opener, thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    Oooh!! Thanks for the word!! I am going to start using that while I push my son to work HARDER!!

Hi I realise I am joining this discussion years later! However I have just found out about the Singapore maths method and I am really keen to try this with my child. She is a very visual learner, and the NZ maths method just isn't clicking.

I followed the e-bay link above to explore workbooks to complete at home....there are so many different options. Are you able to recommend any particular books that have worked for your child? (would be great if others from this thread are able to share as well, thanks!)

Most of the people who said above that they have used this method haven't been around on the forum for a long time, so may not see your question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12