Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CV Rewrite Companies

Well seems you have to tooooot your horn here & "sell" your self to strangers ...hmmm...if you cant beat 'em join 'em... lemme get back to "shamelessly" talking myself "up" by writing self glorifying cover letters...
    Last edited by GeorgeV; 13th November 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeV View Post
    Well seems you have to tooooot your horn here & "sell" your self to strangers ...hmmm...if you cant beat 'em join 'em... lemme get back to "shamelessly" talking myself "up" by writing self glorifying cover letters...
    Oh - hey.

If I came across as too snobbish to write a CV, or as vilifying anyone doing their best to sell themselves on a resume, then I apologize. It's not that I think there's anything particularly horrible about doing so, and in any case, it's a necessary evil if you want to get a job these days.

I just find having to sell myself at the general level expected on a CV to be an uncomfortable process. More power to you if you can write up your resume without pangs of unease!

Zeke

Yep, its a necc evil..gotta bite the bullet..u don't have to apologize I was just
    being grumpy there sorry, its my weak spot too...

Cheers!
    George

Actually I've found that the CV is the secondary talking point. I recently - for the first time in my working life since 1989 (and 5 employers since then, my graduation from university) - had to take my CV down to one page, single-sided. It's tough to take your entire life down to that little However, the cover letter is all-important, always has been! I'm in the IT field and it's pretty much a given that if you're going to apply for a position, then you're qualified for it - it's dependent on your personality if you get the job or not.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Actually I've found that the CV is the secondary talking point. I recently - for the first time in my working life since 1989 (and 5 employers since then, my graduation from university) - had to take my CV down to one page, single-sided. It's tough to take your entire life down to that little However, the cover letter is all-important, always has been! I'm in the IT field and it's pretty much a given that if you're going to apply for a position, then you're qualified for it - it's dependent on your personality if you get the job or not.
    Did you find that you needed to take your CV down that much for the NZ market?

I'm in IT as well. I've spent the bulk of my career as a unix/linux sysadmin, with some time spent in product development, a bit in writing linux drivers, and with my most recent focus being system tools creation. I always struggle a bit to make all these different focuses sound coherent in a CV timeline.

At this point my CV is about 2 A4 pages. If I had to knock it down to 1 page, there'd have to be some ruthless trimming.

It's funny, though. I did a lot of interviewing for IT personnel in my previous position, and I saw a lot of under-qualified people with impressive-sounding resumes. Perhaps that's just typical of the California IT market.

Zeke

I did use Tom and it was a great experience. He was very helpful and really pulled out my information. I highly recommend him if you have trouble writing about yourself.

Anyway, I sent out my CV to a few companies and to a friend that works for a recruitment company. Long story short, I just have been offered a job. It was the first one I interviewed for! I was also complemented on my CV so to me, it was well worth the cost.

Hi Mickfin,

Thanks for sharing the contacts. may i know what is his fees?

His fee is based on your need. ie: student, executive, senior management etc.

Here is his website:

http://www.cv.co.nz/resume.html

I really liked him. Writing the cv was hard for me but he sent me tools to get the information out of me. I had to answer questionaires that he had prepared and it was easy to do it that way.

He also sends you TONS of extra stuff. I got a generic cover letter for free and interview tips etc. He also helps you to understand how to "tweak" your cv to meet each positions requirements.

In the end he even sends you all the stuff on a disk. I thought that was a nice touch instead of just emailing me everything.

Congrats Michelle & all the best with your new job!!

Congrats Michelle!! Wishing you the best with the new job!
    Cheers!
    George

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast