Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening in New Zealand!

Default Gardening in New Zealand!

We have just started on a tidy up of the rental property garden. Not knowing the plants is a real problem. I was never that into gardening, but at least in the UK I could recognise the weeds. Here I am stumped. we have something that looks like a white bluebell and smells like an onion, then another with a funnel shape leaf and a tiny white flower and they are everywhere. There are also dandelions (yeha, I recognise something!) and a variety of small ground creeper type things with lots of roots....

Wonder if it would be worthwhile starting a picture thread of things that are weeds and things that aren't in the general scheme of things when gardening in NZ. It might help those who are horticulturally challenged, like me!

Aye fire up some pictures

check out this website for invasive weeds. http://www.arc.govt.nz/environment/b...5E93F9A0&tag=7

Onion weed has white flowers and smell like onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    and a variety of small ground creeper type things with lots of roots....
    If its got quite shallow roots but long, long creepers than it might be a particularly invasive weed that my gardener refers to as Wandering Dew. I think it is known by other names too but I couldn't tell you what they are (sorry).

If it is you need to get rid of it and really keep on top of it as it can regrow from the smallest bit that is left behind.

HTH & good luck with the garden
    Anneliese

Hello,
    The first one is onion weed and the second one sounds like Wandering Jew, this can be a big problem. It is difficult to get rid off and can be a problem for dogs as they can get sores and skin infections from it. Our garden is unfortunately like a demonstration garden for every obnoxious weed on the list! The banana passion plant is another favourite.... As are jasmine, clematis etc. I never thought I would be pulling up nasturtiums by the armful and cutting down jasmine.
    Here is a very helpful guide to what is considered a pest plant in NZ:

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...ord-manual.pdf

Part of our garden was infested with onion weed some of it I just put weed mat down and blow me, it came up through the weed mat, it has these tiny onion things under the ground and as soon as you disturb it they spread everywhere, the only thing that seems to sort of work is let them grow nice and big and saturate them with Round Up into which you have put a good squirt of detergent, also every flower must be pulled out everytime you see one, but is it worth the expense for a rental?
    Gran

Thanks. Have looked for pictures of the wandering dew..don't know if that is what it is. I will try and take a photo tomorrow. I recognised some of the tradescantias as Mum used to grow them as house plants

Onion weed seems to be the right description for the other plant. I will set to with a vengeance again tomorrow.

Have managed to clear a few beds, pot some herbs, put in some bedding plants to cheer up a concrete bed and plant some small veg. Still have the large veg patch to clear and seeds to plant.

I'm a new gardener too and will be reading this thread with great interest!

So far, I've got two types of tomatoes, two types of strawberries, some lettuces, some carrots, some corn and some garlic in the ground, some chilli plants in pots and is now starting to collect some herbs and flowers... it's very addictive

i can't wait to start gardening in NZ! I hope to be able to grow a vegetable garden!

Here is singapore, i can't get some stuffs growing.

I had a chilli plant and strawberry plant that died a few months back. We have good sun here but it is just SO hot!

Currently i have mint, chilli plant, orchirds (pretty!!!) and a strawberry plant.

Patiently waiting for my chilli and strawberry plants to bear fruits

plants grow soo well here. we planted a few small herbs a month ago, and they're growing like Billy-o! we cant eat them quickly enough. i pick some generous handfuls, and the next day they seem to have grown back... its lke magc lol!
    herbs in the uk were slow in compaison, with some plants hardly recovering after a good pick... and usually dying off in the wnter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast