Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 months in

Default 2 months in

Well I have been here two months now and I think I am becoming fairly “Kiwi’fied” I have my Kiwi license and IRD number. We have bought cars and rented a house. Driving has actually become fairly easy although the whole right turn and give way to oncoming traffic turning right is still something I almost always forget. Or do I have that backwards?

The only thing that has been truly difficult for me (and the cause for my absence on here) is internet service. We moved into our home about 7 weeks ago and since have struggled to obtain internet service. I won’t go into the long traumatic saga as the pain is still very fresh still but suffice it to say it involved me at my lowest point in tears. Once I finally accepted that I was doomed to dial up a miracle happened and within 4 days found out I was going to be granted broadband after all! Miracles do happen!

Shopping is interesting. There are no familiar brands and no huge selection so deciding what to buy has proven fairly easy. There are lots of new things to try and I have bought a couple of cooking magazines to try out NZ recipes. Things I would never have thought about cooking in the US I try here because the ingredients are available. I have even discovered spices I did not know existed. I am learning new things every day!

Finding a house was interesting. We came from a ~4000 sq ft home in the US and find storage a challenge here. Thankfully we got rid of a lot of our “worldly possessions” before making the move. The home we rented is a new build in a new development so all of us are new to the neighborhood.

I have also realized that just because NZ is an English speaking country that does not necessarily mean you can understand. It also occurred to me that they may have as much trouble understanding me as I do them! Again, this has been addressed by others in posts.

We have made a point of getting out almost every weekend and exploring this beautiful place. We have been to the Coromandel, down to Bay of Plenty and to both coasts. I quite like Tauranga and Gisborne.

One thing I would recommend is learning the metric system. I love to cook and shopping is interesting if you don’t know how to convert lbs to kg’s. I do find groceries more expensive. Actually, I think most things are.

Making the change from the US to here has been quite the process. I am glad we made the move though. I think the key to it is something that has been a theme through many of the posts. Your attitude. I find you have to keep a sense of humor and look at everything as an adventure. And keep smiling!

Great post. Glad that you got your broad band sorted out.

Well done - we are 6 weeks in tomorrow, had my first major wobble yesterday so you are doing well.

Sweet as eh?..

Nick.

no worries She'll be right Mate

Thanks everyone. Life just keeps getting more and more settled everyday.

This is an interesting read.

I hope we won't have that much trouble with the internet as i have yet to go through one day without internet.

WHen i was in NZ for a holiday, i did notice the very quiet shopping scene. In Auckland, theres only Gucci & LV (not that i care for these brands)...

Singapore is a shopping paradise. We have most big brands here. But i don't think i will miss shopping that much anyway. And if i do, theres always online shopping

glad to see you settling in, Mickfin! I'm impressed with your driving in NZ. I hope it'll be that way for me whenever I come over. Still trying to sell over here...sigh.

Please keep posting and updating us on your progress.

The whole internet issue was quite devastating to me. I did not realize how dependent my life was on the internet. I use it for everything. I google everything I need. Need a number or address for a furniture store, google it. Not to mention keeping in contact with family.
    I had mentally told myself that making the move would be ok and easy since I had skype and email. I left my dd at Uni and caught a flight here and then found internet almost impossilbe to get. I was lied to by a 2 providers and then my line was held hostage by one. You have to be released before another company can give you service. Company A said they had available broadband in our area and just needed to send out the router. However they would need 5+ days to verify the connection date. Well a week went by and finally online we saw that no, they had been mistaken, there was no broadband available. BUT WAIT, it gets better.
    We cancelled our service with them. Seems simple enough. They were very understanding. They could not provide the service they promised. It took almost 3 weeks and my OH escalating the issue up to supervisors to get them to let go of our line.
    In the meantime we had contacted another provider to get our service from. Sure, they had plenty of broadband in our area. HOWEVER, after almost 3 weeks with company A holding us hostage, company B had given our broadband away! Of course I did not find this out for almost a week after we had been released.
    Come to find out company B owns the broadband in our area and the other companies buy from them. Our approximate wait time would be ~11 months!!!! I was devastated and in tears at this point.
    After I had my melt down and decided I hated life I accepted the OUTRAGEOUSLY price T-stick and gave in.
    4 days after this I came home to a message on the phone that I had been connect to broadband. VERY good day!

As far as shopping, I am refering to grocery and household. I have not done any clothes shopping. My OH has though and about had heart failure at the price of Levi's. WOW is all I can say. I will be picking those up in the states or have them sent over!

Also, you refered to online shopping. Be prepared for the HIGH shipping fees. Of course, that is assuming you can get internet! lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast