Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do they make it so hard to get broadband?

Default Why do they make it so hard to get broadband?

Has anyone else experienced problems getting broadband set up?

I've had to cancel my order after waiting over 3 weeks for a phone line & broadband!! Is it just me or do they make you jump through hoops because you're from overseas?

I've had to provide passports, work permits, bills etc. just to pass a credit check for broadband but yet managed to get Sky installed within 2 days without having to provide any additional info.

Am wondering if I just picked the most incompetent company I've ever come across!!

Anyone with recommendations for a good service provider?

Oh Starkus, Starkus. Don’t get me started on this one. This truly is my one and only complaint 2 months in.

I am going to say this and risk harsh criticism and comments, but NZ is not a third world country but internet is here!

It took me 2 months to get internet and I had the same experience you did. I had to jump through hoops and practically provide DNA. Sky and the gas and electricity could care less! GRRRR

The day BEFORE we moved in we went down and signed up for internet as this was VERY important to me. The woman checked her computer and verified that yes, broadband was available and they would call within 5 days and would be sending the modem out. Well the 5 days went by and no call. I called and was told, “oops, sorry. We really don’t have internet” They acknowledged that the problem was on their end and would gladly let us out of our contract.

Sounds very nice of them doesn’t it? WRONG. Once you sign a contract with a company they put a hold on your address and until they release it, no other company can provide you with service. I found this out when I went to company B and they too told me that they could provide me with broadband. But unfortunately they could not do so until company A released us.

So begins the real nightmare. Company A would not release us. I called daily and OH had to escalate 2x to supervisors to get them to release our address. In the meantime company B gave “our” broadband away.
    Not to worry, they would be more than happy to provide us with a T stick with 1/10 the data for more money!!! So very nice of them! At this point I was wanting to find out if NZ had a version of consumer protection and who to call to expose these mafia internet providers!

When I asked when they though internet would be available I was told 11-12 months! I lost it at that point. My poor OH asked around his work and we called every company that anyone told us about. During this time I found out company A had a nude* version of internet that they could provide us. Glory be! Woo Hoo! Sign me up! Again with the DNA and first borns footprints. I was dumbfounded they had not told us this originally. Well turns out it was also a lie. After waiting another 10 days I finally found out that no, it too used broadband and was not satellite as I had been told.

Turns out company B owns all the broadband lines in my area. So I finally gave in after crying myself sick and deciding I hated life and that my OH had indeed moved me to a third world country.

Happy ending though. Yet another lie. 4 days after receiving me T stick I came home to a message on my answering machine that broadband had become available and was now installed on my line! Ahhh, all is good in the universe again.

*names changed to protect the guilty
    Last edited by Mickfin; 1st November 2010 at 10:20 PM.

OMG i thought it was just me and I was seriously starting to think I was losing my mind getting soooo stressed over a simple internet connection. Your experience is so similar to mine, although its only been 3 weeks of daily phone calls, going from the engineer is coming out on xxx to - you such never have been told that to - the engineer will defn be out on xxx. Then throw into the mix all the different companies and who owns the line and who has to rents the line - it seriously becomes a hair pulling out experience. The classic was when I called again and found out the order hasn't been put through and oh gee there's not a single supervisor to talk to and by the way it would be a waste of your time anyway cos they'll tell you the same information i did - but if you really insist we may be able to get someone to call back within 2/3 working days - but again we can't confirm this will happen!!! Then the previous tenants connection was disconnected and reconnected the same day!! absolutely poor incompetence!!

Reading your experience has now left me even more concerned, will the original company now delay handing the number back so I can get it with another company? Probably considering I'm still waiting from yesterday for a member of the 'Cancellation Team' (i kid you not) to confirm that its being cancelled!!!

I know in the grand scheme of things, this is someone a normal rationale person should never get stressed over, but when you've moved literally half way across the world to a place where you only know a handful of people, it does become very important to be able to phone your mum, or best mates without having poor incompetence from a national company!!

Sorry for the rant, but I really dont think we'd put up with this from companies at home!!

I know in the grand scheme of things, this is someone a normal rationale person should never get stressed over, but when you've moved literally half way across the world to a place where you only know a handful of people, it does become very important to be able to phone your mum, or best mates without having poor incompetence from a national company!!

I KNOW!!! You are normal. I really had told myself that I could handle leaving all my life behind and coming here BECAUSE of things like the internet. I had put so much into it and then not being able to get something that was so simple and basic in my other life, it was devastating! I am not proud of this but I literally ended up a sobbing mess on my bathroom floor. I had just had it at that point and was at my lowest. I felt so cut off and alone right then.

Seriously, that is so spooky - your experience is identical to mine - I ended up on the bath-tub sobbing uncontrollably for hours cos all I wanted to talk to my mum and the evil broadband people we're stopping me!!! It really knocked me out for days.

Throughout the whole immigration process, I thought I'd had prepared for the home sickness (yeah right) but I really hadn't prepared for the complete loss of confidence and feeling of helplessness - particularly so early in the move - we only landed 4 weeks ago!!! I always have been a very confident person and have worked in a highly stressful environment for years and loved every minute of it. But here it really is a fish out of water scenerio!!

In hindsight, I'd say no matter how prepared you are for the move - you're really not prepared at all.

Cue the Twilight Zone music....

I owned my own company and managed people and had all kinds of respect from my peers and on and on and here I was in another country ~12k miles away from it all and I could not manage to get broadband! Seriously, how could this be? I closed HUGE deals and worked with emotional people and mediated between people. Internet should be a breeze! This is 2010 after all. Interenet should just be available!

well, it seems NZ ISP's don't seems to invest in infrastructor. Or are there other reason to it?

I am no "techy" but I was told that they have not laid enough fiber. Whatever that means. I say add more fruit and veggies to their diet then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickfin View Post
    I am no "techy" but I was told that they have not laid enough fiber. Whatever that means. I say add more fruit and veggies to their diet then.
    hmmm unlikely to be a fibre shortage - more likely a DSLAM (or ASAM or ISAM) capacity issue. Anyway it's mostly Telecom who own the fibre / access equipment and rent it out to other providers.

Very similar to our experience in 04-05. It took 2-3 weeks to get connected. After repeatedly being told we could get hi-speed for 2-3 weeks. I get a call on hookup day...sorry there are not spots open in this area for your hi-speed, perhaps one will open in a few months. I ask to escalate this please, finally getting a manager. She took care of us and got us hi-speed.

I find you have to start asking for the employee name or employee number. Then you can ask for that person and they know the whole story of your ordeal. Not saying it works 100%...buy it sure seems to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast