Thread: Skilled Migrant - Probationary period ?

Default Skilled Migrant - Probationary period ?

Hi All,
    We have been assessed by a 'Visa Processing Agent' and qualify for entry as a skilled migrant (gasfitter). The company can assist in getting a job, and we have been told that I only need work in that position for 3 months, after which the 'probationary period' has been served and we would be able to leave the job,area, and go live / buy where we wanted within NZ.
    I have no desire to arrive on a false pretence, however, this is very important information regarding renting, if I go first and then my wife and animals follow on etc.
    If anyone could throw any light on this matter we would be very grateful.
    Thanks
    Steve

No idea what you mean by 'visa processing agent', but what you are saying may well relate to a frequently applied condition on successful permanent resident visa applications known as a Section 18A. Whilst they could in theory be almost anything, then the normal one is that if you apply and use a job offer to gain points or even to jsut speed up the process of the application then you will normally need to do that job for 3 months, and then you send evidence to the local immigration office over here, and they then cancel your permit and add a new one that doesn't have that restriction. Normally you need to start that job within 3 months of arriving, work for 3 months and then supply the evidence within 1 month. Note that it isn't a 7 month visa, it's still PR, but with a condition to do something within 7 months. This is important as many health and import issues, and indeed everyday banking, are dependant on having a permit of over 12 or 24 months, which you have, even with the section 18a.

Thanks Duncan74,
    Sorry for the poorly expressed wording. We have been to a company in London that assists in obtaining a visa (and job), it costs though. Due to our circumstances it may be our best option.We have animals, some that will have to be left behind (goats, sheep,geese etc) and some we hope to bring - dogs, cats and 2 Shetland ponies. I tend to be a bit cynical nowadays and think some people will tell you anything to get hold of your money. I'll look into the Section 18A you refer to via the NZ Gov websites.
    Thanks again
    Stee

We arrived with PR and section 18a clearly stamped in our passports. I did my job for 3 months, resigned on the exact day the 3 months was up and changed to another job. But l got all the paperwrok sorted first to be sure it was all ok. No problem at all ( altho' I did feel a bit guilty about leaving my first employer in the lurch as their job offer effectively got us out here!)

I think you're probably being told about Clause 18A conditions, too, and Duncan's right about this commonly used one. One thing to add - quite often, the 'hold a job for three months' also means that it's a permanent job you've taken, and it's still ongoing when you supply your proofs (i.e., having a three-month temporary contract wouldn't fulfil the condition).

Check that the immigration agent is licensed by NZIS. If not then they are acting illegally, although quite what NZIS are going to do about that for people overseas I have no idea, but it doesn't bode well. Equally, apart from calling one of the pet carriers for you, I'm not sure how they will help. But it's your call, pay them £3k, or do what most of us did which is spend 10 hours reading the NZIS website, an hour a day for 2 months reading threads on here and then just do it yourself.

I have an 18a clause on my PR visa, which I'm soon to be rid of but it has caused me no issues for banking/ importing my stuff/ IRD number etc.
    I'll second Duncan74 in saying that you don't need an agent, it's possible to do it yourself. I did and I'm a grubby mechanic who hates paperwork!
    I can't help with the importing of animals except that you cannot bring pet parrots in.