Thread: What job qualifies?

Default What job qualifies?

Hi

If i wanted to come to New Zealand and look for a job, with the hope of getting PR, are there any specific jobs which qualify. Ie, I am a chef, so can I get any position in the kitchen, or do I have to have a high position?

Also, how easy is it to actually find a job if I go there in person?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Welcome!

Hello and Welcome!

Please have a look at this page for the complete list of essential skills in demand.

hey beetle
    thanks for the reply. i have had a look at this list, however, my education qualifications dont match exactly what is specified. I was hoping to maybe just arrive there and get a job, I think I read somewhere that a job offer doesnt have to be on the skills shortage list? Do you know if this is correct?
    thanks again

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/ is the page that lists all the different kinds of work visa/permit available. Under each heading you'll see links that explain how someone can qualify for each sort. If you arrive in NZ and someone with a proper, reputable business is interested in employing you, the first thing they will need to know is that you can get a work permit.

There isn't really any situation where a foreign immigrant can get a work permit without qualifications, EXCEPT if they are given an open work permit because of something in the situation of the partner they are accompanying.

Do you want to share what the difference is that you have found between the qualifications you've got, and what you've found in the listing? Maybe then someone in the same line of work might be able to suggest something.

Quote Originally Posted by claycat View Post
    I think I read somewhere that a job offer doesnt have to be on the skills shortage list?
    On that same page Beetle referred you to is this.

What if my occupation is not on one of the lists?If you want to apply for a temporary work visa/permit (or recruit temporary workers from overseas), the occupation does not have to be on one of the lists. The employer must show that they have genuinely searched for suitably qualified and trained New Zealander workers, and we will undertake a labour market test. Alternatively, an employer with Approval in Principle may be able to recruit employers from overseas.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=3