Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Behaviour in New Zealand and crime generally?

Default Behaviour in New Zealand and crime generally?

I have a couple of questions. We are from the UK and have lived in the USA for almost 18 years. We have obtained PR and are planning on moving to NZ in next 1-2 yrs and planning vacation next spring to activate our PR.

My husband is concerned about what he peceives as 'loutish' or 'yobbish' behaviour in New Zealand (he reads the online natonal paper every day) and the gang type violence that we both remember being an issue in the UK when we left (And I understand from family back there has got worse since we left).
    I am talking about that petty and not so petty gratuitous violence, crime and bullying type stuff that you don't tend to see so much of over here in the US. Admittedly you are probably more likely to get shot and killed here!
    Just trying to get a feel for what crime is really like compared to the US or the UK?
    I have to say I have felt a lot safer in the USA than I ever did in the UK. He is concerned as we have 2 younger kids, 1 with special needs and they would both be of school age upon moving over. I was over in NZ for 2 weeks on a reccie trip 2 yrs ago and I felt very safe there but I am trying to convince him!
    Thanks for any info or comments.

I have never felt unsafe here in Wellington. When you say "loutish" behavior I think of general loud obnoxiousness, of which there is plenty in certain areas at certain times. Most of central wellington turns into a frat party on the weekends, but it still doesn't seem unsafe—unless you slip on a big pile of yesterdays lunch.

You are wanting to compare life in NZ - with where exactly that you lived (or your family now live) in the UK? This could make quite a bit of difference.

When getting impressions from the media, don't let your husband forget that no reporter sells a story if it says 'nothing much happened'. We've had people on these threads saying in effect that they wouldn't have recognized their own experience in the news reports of the Christchurch earthquakes, for example.

TJH
    There were some initial reports of looting in the CBD that seemed to be a bit exaggerated as time went on yesterday. Any of you folks in Christchurch hear much about this?

If there was an earthquake like this in a major US metro area, stores would be picked clean by looters before the earth even quit moving!!

Overall, I am very pleased to see how "civil" this emergency has been with how people are behaving and reacting the situation.
    Mamee and Co
    MY understanding is that one person was cuaght trying and the police threw him in the cells, but that has been the extent of it!!!

Been to get shopping for packed lunches. Outwith the city centre there is some damage, again mostly limited to the old brick buildings and falling chimneys, but if you were not aware it is not, in most places, instantly apparent. Shops are open, traffic is flowing, traffic lights are working and people are going about their daily business.
    TJH
    That is what I thought. A lot of the US news outlets were headlining the supposed looting going on yesterday, but most US news is usually sensationalized to get more readers.

Everything I have read, along with talking to people in Christchurch seem to indicate it was a non-issue.
    http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-31068.html

My view is that the behaviour in teh UK that is associated with secondary crimes doesn't happen so much. What I mean is that in the uk, a group of teenagers get in teh park with a few crates of alcopops and then anyone that walks past is going to get jeered at, and there's the chance that otehr kids would be bullied. Over here, then whilst I've seen the groups of kids, there's not so much of the shouting to strangers. The big issue for me is related to cars. There is a lot more 'street racing' that goes on, and that means you need to choose the area you live carefully.
    Overall I feel a whole lot less worried about crime than anywhere I was in the UK. Day to day you don't have to be quite so 'on guard'.

It's an island of 4 million people. Not all will be angels. But it's not quite as easy to 'hide' if you are one of the bad apples.

I have found that there are not so many people just hanging about on street corners. They tend to be playing sport. However, as Duncan says, the young car drivers tend to be more of a menace!

Just thinking... how do you get to be bothered about the chance of being shouted rudely at, more than you are about being shot?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Just thinking... how do you get to be bothered about the chance of being shouted rudely at, more than you are about being shot?
    Perhaps it works like this: Being insulted may make you feel threatened and uncomfortable, but once you are dead people can be as rude as they want, who cares.

I never found any hassles in Christchurch, in fact I felt a lot safer there than I do in Sydney, but I agree with the boyracing car issue, you have to pick your areas carefully..thankfully I had inside information before I moved, and did just that!

I find that people are much more likely to 'wade in' with anti social behaviour here than in the UK. On a few occasions I've been at a playground with older kids behaving badly- just annoying things like running around having sword fights or playing football next to toddlers. There is always a parent who tells them to take it elsewhere. I'm not sure if this would happen in the UK. I've also been there on my own with teenagers that I'd be very nervous of in the UK. They have usually surprised me by volunteering up swings, waving at the baby etc. I definitely feel safer in NZ than I did in most places in the UK. I even find teenagers on the bus polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Just trying to get a feel for what crime is really like compared to the US or the UK?
    I think we've been around the houses on this one, and it is very much dependent on your individual perception.

I have never felt particularly unsafe in London.

From a personal experience, I have had more 'issues' here in 3 years than in 11 years in East London. Twice we had our car broken into/damaged severely by some 'partying' youth, I have been shouted at and followed (now there was a creepy experience) by groups of drunk/drugged teenagers while out running (during the day, both times).

I don't think it is possible to make general comments, as too much depends on where you will live and what your perception of violence is.

Daniela

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast