Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: our shipping experience

Post our shipping experience

So many people have asked so many questions during the process of making our move that I thought now it is all over I will in one go try and answer as many questions as possible, in the hope of helping others, as others helped us.

Back at the beginning of April we had recieved PR and started thinking about packing up and moving, so I dug out the NZ moving box and specnt a few hours reading all the glossy brochures from a number of removal companies that we had seen at recent emgirate show. Then I spent a couple more hours googling all of the companies, reading a large number of threads from people who had used them and narrowed the companies down to the good, the bad and damn right dreadful. At this point we had three left on the list so I rang each one and organised them to come to the house look at our stuff and give us a price.

First up was Allied Pickfords, the gentleman who visited was very helpful, tok his time looking around the house and was able to answer all of our questions, most of these we had found on a thread on here, I can't remember where but if anyone wants a copy PM me as I saved the list on the hard drive of the computer.

Second up was John Masons, again very friendly, professional and really knew his job, unfortunately they are only UK based and use Crown relocations in NZ and we were worried about things getting moved about and broken unneccesarily so we didn't go with them.

Last up was Crown, if you have used them and had a really good experience then please ignore my next comment. The man who came to the house was horrible, he spent 10 minutes max looking around, was rude and refused to answer any questions I had so before he left we had both decided against them.

So we went with Allied Pickfords and personally i'm pleased we did. In the UK they wer really helpful returning phone calls and emails promptly and very helpfully. The proce was competitive for a sole use 20ft container we paid just over £3000, we then had to pay MAF and customs on top of that and watch out if you are more than 30 miles from port as they try and add on a bit extra again. The packers were brilliant in the UK they turned up early packed quickly, efficently and made both me and my OH feel like a spare part. They checked the container once it arrived for holes etc. and then packed really well. When everything arrived on Wednesday nothing was broken and only one thing had a very small chip in it, so I really can't complain.

They kept in contact during the shipping, told us when the container had changed ship and although it did seem to spend long time in the suez canal it did arrive on time, I guess we had the weather on our side. Delievery took a week from docking to the house. Again the unpackers were effiecent, polite and hard working, they took all the boxes away with them, and even returned to collect the MAF boxes after the inspection.

So, overall nine weeks door to door was great. We didn't get our insurance form them having read lots of horror stories, instead we went with letton perceival, download the form from their website spend some time looking at NZ websites to give you an idea of replacement values and then fax it off to them. We were all sorted within 7-10 days and it was reasonable priced.

I hope this helps someone, if you have any other questions let me know and I'll try me bes to answer them.

Thank you for this, Upside Down. I'm in process of narrowing down the shipper so it is great to get recent information. do you recall who the agent was on the New Zealand side?

Happy homemaking to you!

It is helpful and thank you for sharing this.
    I've narrowed my options to Allied and Crown: both agents were friendly, professional and helpful. They both made me first offers and Crown was more expensive than Allied (with 1600 euro!). However, after a phone talk they dropped 800 euro form their price. At this moment they are still 800 euro more expensive than Allied.

Q:
    1. If you had offers from both companies, have you experienced such a different price quotation?
    2. Have you obtain any discount from Allied after their first offer to you (x% will be very helpful for me)?
    Thanks for answers.

I think I'll choose Allied and it's good to know that you had a good experience with them.

cantwait with Allied pickfords it is them both sides in the UK and NZ one of the reasons we used them as we would be dealing with only one company.

Antonilarion we did get two very different quptes from allied and crown and although crown were willing to come down they couldn't get close to the allied price. We didn't talk to Allied about price reduction as we were really happy with the quote.

I know I said I wouldn't after a recent Pickfords let down horror story on this forum, but, I did.
    Pickfords seemed to me to be the best all round and I was especially pleased when the quote came through - cheapest of the lot on a 40ft sole use container.
    So here I am 1 week away from the Pickfords packers arriving.
    Delighted to read about your experiences Upsidedown, thanks.

I just got my first quote for shipping from Crown...and I must say, I almost sprayed my coffee onto my monitor when I saw the quote for 1/20ft container. I'm in the process of filling out the quote request from Allied to see if they can do any better, if not, then we're going to be having a massive moving sell with everything MUST go just make an offer....but seeing the quote for Allied for a UK move via the suez canal I'm hoping they will be a bit more reasonable.

We had Crown and PSS round last week, and received quotes yesterday and today. Based partly on the way the 2 agents acted when going round the house, we picked PSS in the end - he answered questions far more specifically and practically. Crown was more passive about the whole thing.

What also helped was that a friend v near here recently used PSS (and thought they were great) and Mamee has recently had her things delivered by NZ Vanlines (the Kiwi end of the transaction) and I seem to remember that went well too. Also Crown estimated that we needed 3/4 20' container, while PSS estimated close to the full capacity of a 20 footer.. but they quoted pretty muuch the same cost. I know much of the price is based on time to pack/unpack, materials etc, but our own guesstimate was that we needd the whole container too.

So they're coming on 21st October *eep* that makes it a bit more REAL!

I have just started getting around companys for quotes as well. From St albans (Uk) to chch for the new year. So far I have had pickfords and PSS. (Robinsons and crown to follow) and they have been two extremes. We have a small 3 bed semi ( 2kids)
    * Pickfords said that we had too much for a 20ft and gave us three prices - one for a shared 40ft, sole use/part full 40ft and then sole use/all 40ft container. Insisted that we couldn't leave anything in the drawers, cupboards, not to dismantle any shelving etc. Would take 3-4 days to pack and everything would need to be taken back to their warehouse to be put in the container as they thought it would be difficult menouvering a 40ft around our street
    *PSS said that we had just over a 20ft container but said the packers always like a challenge and should be able to squeeze it all in. He said to stuff as much as poss into the drawers etc and to dismantle stuff as well. Should we take the gamble and go for the 20 ft and either leave somethings behind or send the left overs in a shared container?

Will be intereting to see what the others say!

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by explorer View Post
    *PSS said that we had just over a 20ft container but said the packers always like a challenge and should be able to squeeze it all in. He said to stuff as much as poss into the drawers etc and to dismantle stuff as well. Should we take the gamble and go for the 20 ft and either leave somethings behind or send the left overs in a shared container?
    We've only had things picked up so far, not delivered, but PSS were fine with fitting everything from our house (3-bed semi, 2 adults 1 child, several large bits of non-dismantle-able wooden furniture) into a 20ft container. We took what we could apart (bed, dinner table) and that was fine. Every time they emptied another cupboard, we shoved in some towels, duvets, fluffy toys etc - only soft things though, but that certainly took up the space. There was no need for clothing boxes in the end.

I also liked the fact that they did load the container right in front of us. Pickfords were going to take everything away and repack it at the depot too, which is extra handling and shouldn't be needed - extra risk of damage!! The packers were a funny pair too, very efficient as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast