Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: four months here...

The seasonal variation in prices in NZ is much more than in the UK. Having said that, we pay 50c/ capsicum when they are available from the small market garden at the western (Mapua) end of lower Queen Street in Richmond. Probably not worth driving from Mapua for unless you are headed that way anyway. In season, we buy tomatoes from the same place for $5 for 5kg for "cooking tomatoes" (funny shapes but nice and ripe) and only slightly more for first quality. There are also a some market gardens around Motueka that are not expensive although I don't know exactly where they are - my parents keep turning up with large bags of produce though - you may need to ask some of the locals.

I feel that we pay significantly less for produce than in the UK, but we eat seasonally.

congrats and well done - enjoy!

Congratulations on the move and finding a job so quickly! It's very inspiring for those of us who will be in a similar situation. Thanks for posting!

Congrats on a such a good start to your new life in NZ. Just wanted to say how much I loved Mapua Wharf when we were in the Nelson area last summer. I am very jealous of you getting to live & work there.

Also loved The Moutere Inn - I'm sure my OH would move to that part of the world if he could find the right job! You are very spoilt in terms of craft beer availability.

Enjoy!
    Anneliese

Lovely post, Sinead&Dave!! Congrats on the engagement. In the NZ winter of 1999 I became engaged: first in Hokitika (in a glow worm dell), then sitting on a glacier (Fox Josef), and finally in Akaroa where I received my engagement ring.
    Don't worry! Each proposal was to the same Kiwi... And, I did say yes each time. We were married here in Asheville on April Fool's Day of 2000. Ten years together and now we hope to head over to Nelson as soon as our house sells.

I'll definitely come to Mapua to meet you and to check out your restaurant! I hope we have the luck you had in obtaining a job!

Best to you as you continue on your journey!

Hi Sinead,

It was lovely to read your post and that you have settled in well since your move from Ireland. Congrats on your engagement. Delighted that your cats arrived well with Golden Arrows as I hope to use them for my dogs. Did you get ferry from Dublin to ? where in Uk to bring them to Golden Arrow as I will need to do same.
    Weather wet & cold here in Ireland- a bit like our depressing economy. Just waiting for our house sale to complete and NZ here we come!!
    Last edited by barneybetty; 17th November 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12