Thread: Tiritiri Matangi

Smile Tiritiri Matangi

We're thinking of going to Tiritiri Matangi in the New Year:

http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/VisitorInfo.htm

And had a couple of questions:

1) Has anybody been with younger children (age 4) and if so how did you find it?

2) Did you do the guided tour, was it worthwhile and would young children (4, 7 & 9) enjoy it?

3) Are there toilet facilities?

4) How long do you have to stay on the island?

5) If it rained a lot would it still be enjoyable, is there shelter?

6) How far in advance did you book?

OK...so more than a couple but any answers or tips would be good!

Cheers

Tia

Can't answer specifics as I haven't been but Sam B went a while ago:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ritiri+matangi

It sounds fantastic, and I wish we'd gone last time we were over, but OH wanted to climb Rangitoto instead cos he hoped it might have dinosaurs hidden on it.

P

Yes, there are toilets, and yes there is shelter, a cafe and a shop. Day trippers get to spend about 4 or 5 hours there. It's great for kids of all ages, lots of rockpools and nice walks. I don't like guided tours, so I avoided it. I had to book far in advance to stay there, but I think just a few days should be fine for the ferry.

We booked in July to stay in Jan and there was not much choice, but we were booking for 6.
    I am SO looking forward to going.....from SamB's ravings about it, it sounds like my idea of heaven.

I actually just heard about this from a friend. She went for a week and LOVED it and could not recommend it enough. I don't fancy myself an avid bird lover but I think it sounds interesting enough that I would want to try it. I say go for it!

Thanks for the info everone!

Carey - apologies in advance if a rather noisy family arrive one day while you're there and spoil your peace and quiet.

Cheers

Tia

We've done the day trip a couple of times and the children have loved it (first time ages 4 and 6). I would recommend the guided tour to get the most out of the trip. The tours are done by a group of very knowledgable volunteers. Participants are split into small groups when the ferry arrives and then each group heads off onto different trails. Unless you're really into NZ birds and know what to look for, the guides add an awful lot to the trip. The tours finish at the info centre and then you have plenty of time for lunch and to head off to another area of the island before the ferry returns.

The 'cafe' amounts to an area where you can make a cup of tea or coffee and perhaps buy a chocolate bar from the shop, but there is a large sheltered area where you can eat your own supplies. Snacks and drinks can be bought on the ferry.

We've only booked the ferry a day or two ahead for our trips out there.