Thread: Pecans?

Default Pecans?

As a newly-arrived American Kiwi, I am looking to make Thanksgiving dinner for my NZ friends. One of the things I'd like to make for them is pecan pie, but I have not seen pecans in a reasonable quantity anywhere (and as a restaurateur/hotelier here, I have access to wholesale quantities of most ingredients). Anyone know where I might have some luck?

I know Bin Inn has them and so does Davis Trading Co. (but their store in Christchurch is "to the trade" so that should work for you)

They are expensive--expect to pay a LOT for them.

However, the biggest problem in making pecan pie is not the pecans. It is the Karo corn syrup. Glucose is the closest substitute and it will NOT work for pecan pie.

Please let me know if you find something that works.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post

However, the biggest problem in making pecan pie is not the pecans. It is the Karo corn syrup. Glucose is the closest substitute and it will NOT work for pecan pie.

Have you tried using golden syrup in place of Karo?

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    Have you tried using golden syrup in place of Karo?
    Sorry--that is what I tried when I made a pecan pie. I just typed the wrong thing.
    Glucose is the substitute for karo syrup when making marshmallows and it is hopeless. Terrible.
    Golden syrup is what I substituted for karo syrup with the pecan pie. It was terrible as well. But then I am not a fan of the syrup here--all awful. This was 2 years ago when I tried the pecan pie. We now use the pure maple syrup now which is really expensive but for the occasional waffle is the best choice.

I may try the pecan pie with the maple syrup some day but the taste will be wrong. And the maple syrup and the pecans are so expensive that I just haven't talked myself into trying it because even if it does come out "good" --it will still be "wrong"

Maybe we are really picky about pecan pie? OH is from a small town in East Texas and likes his pecan pie a "certain" way.

Glad I am revisiting the issue as I just found this with a search:

What is Corn Syrup?

Could you please tell me what corn syrup is? I live in New Zealand and have not heard this name before. We have golden syrup, treacle, and maple syrup — is it any of these?

Answer:
    Corn syrup is just what the name implies, a liquid derivative of corn starch, that is primarily the sugar called glucose. It is used extensively in the manufacture of processed foods and beverages in the US, because it does not crystallize as readily as sugar and is generally less expensive (although it is also not as sweet as sugar).

It is available to consumers in the US in two forms — light, which has been clarified to remove all color (and which is essentially flavorless), and dark, to which caramel color and molasses have been added. Because of its tendency not to crystallize, it is often called for in recipes for frostings, candies, jam, and jellies.

If light corn syrup is not available, you can substitute a sugar syrup made with 1-1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy. If your recipe calls for dark corn syrup, we’d suggest using a sugar syrup with a dash of dark treacle or unsulfured molasses, both of which are derived from sugar cane.

Just in time for "Thanksgiving"

I've never actually made pecan pie, being more of the treacle tart persuasion, but I've eaten it several times in the UK and it tasted pretty good to me. I'm sure over there we'd bung in some good old Lyle's Golden Syrup. You must be a true conoisseur GG to only like it made with the precisely proper ingredients

Pecan pie is a Southern staple. And there is an expectation of taste that can't be replicated without the karo corn syrup.

I see people from the UK always searching for proper canned beans or pasties. It's kind of like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    Pecan pie is a Southern staple. And there is an expectation of taste that can't be replicated without the karo corn syrup.

I see people from the UK always searching for proper canned beans or pasties. It's kind of like that.
    I know what you mean, I'd be gutted if P&S stopped stocking Colmans mustard and we had to use the awful american style stuff Pasties are easy enough to DIY though.

Just for you....

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pecan-pie-v/Detail.aspx

Sorry but corn syrup is imho just too sweet......