Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 days to go...

Default 3 days to go...

Well, it's been a fair while coming but we're nearly on our way. The last few weeks have been emotional, but happy at the same time - definitely worse than when we went to Sydney for a few years, though at the time that was only expected to last one year... this move is likely to be permanent..

Our worldly goods (or most of them) were picked up on 22 Oct, after packing by two very nice PSS men. We did feel pretty useless during the operation, but I was glad to be there. Annoyingly, our container doesn't appear to have left Felixstowe yet *grrr* but that's fine, so long as it actually arrives in Chch at some point!

DD is cheerful, but a bit confused, bless her. 2 1/2 weeks ago she was sleeping in her own bed, in the only home she's ever known. Then we moved in with my parents for a few days, and she got to wave her things bye-bye. Then we went to my grandparents' in France for a week (where all the people speak that funny gibberish that Mummy and Mamie keep trying to natter to her in), with a night on the ferry on each side (one of which was horribly rough). Now we're back with my parents, but only for a little while, and she keeps asking to go home and sleep at our "silly big empty house". Um. But there are plenty of hugs on offer, and lots of spoiling by Mamie and Grandpa!

So.. on Wednesday night we'll fly off from Heathrow to Sydney, via Hong Kong. Safe transit requested from whichever gremlin is targeting aircraft engines at the mo Three days in Sydney to hook up with friends and generally BREATHE and RELAX, then off to NZ!!

I can't believe it's nearly here though, it's so weird. Every so often it hits me, like yesterday we had a big party at a local petting farm with loads of friends and relatives, then a night at the pub with some of the adults. Fantastic in both cases, but every so often the reality of WHY they'd been organised would whack me round the head. Saddest of all was seeing the fun DD had with her friends, and knowing that in a year she'll barely remember them Though all her friends from the childminders' made her a handprint collage to remember them by, which is gorgeous.

..and of course today I said goodbye to my oldest, bestest friend Let's just say that the carpet, hallway, doorway, pavement and car all got a bit soggy. Goodness only knows what I'll be like on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm hoping to make some really good friends in NZ though, just got to get out and find them. This never happened in Sydney, to the point that I almost thought that the only people who'd ever "get" me were those who'd known since puberty, but there has been one absolutely awesome friend made since DD was born who I will find as hard to say goodbye to as it was to say goodbye to J today. So watch out Chch, I'm on the hunt for a few more loons to make friends with

Enough of my rambling..

((((LOADS of hugs)))), and all good wishes for you to make contact with the lovely people you deserve. Keep in touch, and hope to see you again one of these days.

Safe travels and hopefully meet you on the 21st

Happy journey Sophie, all the best especially after such a long long way!

oh Sophie! your time has come. and about time too, after your rollercoaster emigration process.
    best wishes to you, and hope you have a smooth journey. its all worthwhile, when you get on that plane, and kick back wth a nice glass of somethng, and contemplate the start of your new adventure.
    keep us updated
    M&J

Best of luck - its been a long time coming but am sure the weight will be worth it.

Your feelings described were just like mine to a tea. It is very emotional. Cried my eyes out with my longest friend too and also with a girl who like you only met 3 years ago..

Still on the friend hunt here - only been here a month and so busy with family that it hasnt played on my mind. But the friend that I made 3 years ago back home as given me inspiration that it can be done at our age to make friends again.
    Once I get settled in a job and back into my hobbies I am hoping this is when it will all come about.

It takes time and you will feel its just like a holiday to start with (well I have certainly felt that way) because you have family over here to keep you busy etc. I think once the container arrives it will seem more permanant.

Good luck with the journey. My 4 year old was a great help - she kept hugging me and saying - its ok, I know you miss your parents but it will we ok! sweet..

Good luck Sophie - it will all be worth it and your friends and family will come and visit you in your new home. You will make new friends in no time.
    Have a safe journey.

Safe journey Sophie (at long last !), and don't forget to enjoy ! Looking forward to your first posts from within NZ !

Cheers,
    Silver

Bon Voyage Sophie

You are in luck---there are lots of "loons" in NZ! Myself included!

Safe travels!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast