Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wilderland in the news

Default wilderland in the news

I have to say that reading this makes me sick:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/local-gove...ectid=10685764

Since it really looks like nothing more than an attempt to push people off their property via abuse of the building code. I wonder how many other properties sitting out in the bush really conform to the letter of the law?

I worry a bit when I read stories like this. Building our own house - ourselves, not via a contractor - is one of my dreams. I've no intention of building an unsafe or haphazard house, but from everything I read, satisfying the NZ building code can be an involved and expensive process.

Zeke

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    Since it really looks like nothing more than an attempt to push people off their property ...
    That is not exactly what I read. It sayz in the artyiclr that "A fluctuating population of about 15 people ... could end up in tents if the council gets its way." So they might need to leave their buildings but not their property.

... via abuse of the building code.
    Could you explain wherein the abuse lies?

I've no intention of building an unsafe or haphazard house, but from everything I read, satisfying the NZ building code can be an involved and expensive process.
    Only when you build something controversial.

An example:
    Some people find it right being on the bed of an ute whilst driving. However the road codes tells you to use seat belts in proper seats. The regulation to use belts does not prevent you from using the ute. It does also not constitute an abuse of the law in my opinion.

There is a bit more to the story than reported in the Herald, though. This article from TVNZ gives a few more pertinent details: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/comm...lition-3845352

Wilderland is one of New Zealand's oldest co-operative communities. It was established by Dan and Edith Hansen in the 1960s for people wanting to help build an organic lifestyle...

In 1987 the couple gifted the 64-hectare property to a charitable trust and for the past 23 years it has continued to run as an organic horticultural farm and educational community. At present there are seven permanent residents and a number of visitors.

Following Hansen's death about three years ago, the community became embroiled in a bitter dispute with his daughter and Wilderland neighbour Heather Hansen. Her mother is in her late 90s and in ill-health.

In March 2009, Hansen and her family tried to take over Wilderland, claiming to be its legal trustees...

That is disgusting. Especially since they are doing it on the basis of building code, which is a complete joke here. Same story everywhere though. I can't remember how long Michael Renolds had to be in court to get permission for his little sub division to stand in the US.

I am horrified by this article!!! I was aware of the Wilderland community before we ever moved to NZ. OH and I even entertained such thoughts ourselves at one point.

And btw "building your own house" is all but outlawed now. We want to do the same but now (on top of all the council paperwork, $$$ and "engineers" reports), as of November 1, you are going to be required to use a qualified builder on many parts of the building--along with qualified trades people for plumbing etc. Pretty well destroys the ability to DIY.

I am not sure of the legal ramifications yet but I am reading the new rules as quite restrictive. NZ is very interested in trade protectionism and I guess some of the restrictions have to do with the leaky building problem. Although I think those were built by "qualified" people so.....

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    That is disgusting. Especially since they are doing it on the basis of building code, which is a complete joke here. Same story everywhere though. I can't remember how long Michael Renolds had to be in court to get permission for his little sub division to stand in the US.
    LOVE the earthships--I have been to New Mexico and seen them all. I have all of his books.

I haven't seen the documentary "Garbage Warrior" but I would like to see it eventually.

I am also FB friends with Jonah Reynolds so keep up on their global building activities.

Michael Reynolds lost his architecture license over all the hoopla btw.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post
    LOVE the earthships--I have been to New Mexico and seen them all. I have all of his books.
    The documentary is definitely worth checking out. I haven't had the chance to see them in person, but from what I have read and the pics I have seen they seem like a good way to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    There is a bit more to the story than reported in the Herald, though. This article from TVNZ gives a few more pertinent details: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/comm...lition-3845352
    the oldest story in the world.

GREED!!

wonder why the council is in such a hurry to help out the Hansen daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    ... building code, which is a complete joke here
    What makes you think this?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGoat View Post

I haven't seen the documentary "Garbage Warrior" but I would like to see it eventually.

I am also FB friends with Jonah Reynolds so keep up on their global building activities.

Michael Reynolds lost his architecture license over all the hoopla btw.
    NZ-relate info here http://earthship.co.nz/ ; I am one of many volunteers with them.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast