Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty renting a flat in Chch?

Default Difficulty renting a flat in Chch?

Getting a little frustrated here. The bf and I have viewed about 6 flats so far, and haven't been picky - we applied for 3 of them. The application process was long and tiresome involving obtaining copies of photo identification, references, going to their office etc. We were rejected for the first in favour of someone else with no reason given (private landlord). As for the 2nd, we viewed it on Sat and today (Mon) the agent gave us an ultimatum - if we don't confirm that we want it by tomorrow she will give it to someone else who wants it. We aren't going to confirm because the 3rd is currently pending and is a much better place.

I really didn't know competition for flats in Chch was so bloody high. Would've thought that there'd be more empty flats than people who want to rent them! I subscribe to trademe and realestate and act on new ads the day I see them, usually arranging a viewing and applying within less than a week of their appearance. We plan to sign a 1-year lease, don't smoke, don't have pets. The only possible reason I could see for being turned down for the 1st application was the fact that I'm currently unemployed, even though I will be starting a course at the University at the beginning of next year. Or that the current rental agency sneakily gave me a bad reference for no reason (haven't had any rent disputes with them).

Is it normal to be competing against so many people just to rent a 2-bedroom flat, and how do landlords/agencies pick the 'chosen one'?

???? Not being funny but I would have thought everyone would have realised that there is a shortage of places to rent in ChCh at the moment. You may have missed it on the news, but there was a fecking great earthquake that has meant hundreds of houses are currently not fit for habitation meaning that there's been a sudden spike in the number of people needing places as their houses are out of use, and of course a drop in rental places as some of the damaged houses would be rental. Or did you think that all of the houses and flats damaged by the quake were just spares that were laying around 'just in case'.

So with a lack of properties, and as a landlord with a choice, then as a rational person would you choose to rent your place to the employed person whose rent is being paid by the insurance company, or an unemployed person who will become a student next year?

You are going to find it hard.

The earthquake was almost two months ago, and my rental will begin at the end of this month. I assumed that people whose houses were irreversibly damaged would've found somewhere else to stay by now. And that others whose houses are being repaired would be seeking temporary accommodation, not signing year-long leases on other flats. Also, most of the properties I applied for aren't in the city centre.

But you're right, perhaps that is the reason anyhow. How will we ever find a place then? There's certainly nothing I can do about the fact that I'll be a student next year! I somehow assumed that people like and support students, especially older postgraduate ones.

Edit: I just thought about this. Since the bf will be renting with me and he is working, would it be wiser for us to just sign him up as the main tenant (solely responsible for the rent) and fill me in later as a flatmate?
    Last edited by althea; 8th November 2010 at 06:31 PM.

People renting houses want the rent paying and no agro. The word student will worry some people straight away. My parents rented a place out to someone who had been a victim of some flooding in the UK, and that was over a year after the flood.

This of course makes things hard for you as you've not got the record of being a mature bookworm that won't make a mess and pays all your rent in advance when you get your grant (you get the picture).

So perhaps you can hold out for the ideal place, or perhaps you need to think about taking somewhere that you can get, and whislt not accepting any rubbish, somewhere that will do, not holding out for the perfect place.

The problem with rentals will continue for a long time, years. There's people who perhaps own a rental place that are moving out of their own home now the tennancy period is up on the undamaged rental and letting the builders get into their main home to repais foundations, or redecorate due to cracking. People that moved in with relatives and are now back at work, and know it's going to be a year before their place is rebuilt, etc etc. In terms of compassion many would see those people as more worthy than a post grad student. Not saying that's right, but you can see how they might.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    The earthquake was almost two months ago, and my rental will begin at the end of this month. I assumed that people whose houses were irreversibly damaged would've found somewhere else to stay by now. And that others whose houses are being repaired would be seeking temporary accommodation, not signing year-long leases on other flats. Also, most of the properties I applied for aren't in the city centre.
    how do

We haven't arrived yet, but already know we'll be caught in this trap. Our plan had been to rent somewhere for 6-12 months before buying, but now we may just buy. Luckily we can live with MiL for a while, but that won't last forever.

Regards damage to properties, I know of 3 people who need work doing to their places due to the earthquake - and let's not forget the ongoing aftershocks.

Two were listed as liveable but in need of eventual rebuilding within weeks of the earthquake itself, but no work has begun because the ground won't stop moving and various pipes in their road may still be being damaged. No point starting until the extent is actually known, and even once work does start it could be a good while before completion! The 3rd person - MiL, yay! - was fine initially, but a big crack has appeared in their bathroom wall over the last month or so, also needing further investigation once the aftershocks settle down. Hopefully it won't get worse. None of these houses are in central Chch, all are on the outskirts.

Good luck with your search - I really hope something turns up soon!!

The problem is that we aren't even holding out for the perfect place. Of the 3 places that we applied for, I really only liked the 3rd one, #1 and #2 were just liveable. #2 was a really old place, a few cracks in the plaster but certified structurally sound, cupboards creaky and don't close properly. It just didn't feel right to me to confirm #2 and put down a deposit straightaway without even waiting for the results of #3. Had I been given time to await the results of #3 and been declined, I would have accepted #2.

What do you think about putting the bf in as the main tenant then (works as a doctor)? Would that increase our chances of getting a good place?
    Last edited by althea; 8th November 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Sorry, perhaps you'll get some views from those down in ChCh. I'm speaking from a personal view of someone who lives up in Tga, more local people should be able to correct my views or offer some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post

What do you think about putting the bf in as the main tenant then (works as a doctor)? Would that increase our chances of getting a good place?
    Yup go for it

All of them said, when I asked, that they want an application from each person who will be renting though. How do we go about using the main tenant instead of joint tenancy route?

Article here sheds some light on what's happen post quake and how it might be impacting on the rental sector

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...-books-damaged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast