Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: electricity gubbins

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    at the bottom of the top bit

    Default electricity gubbins

    if you change a socket in a bathroom from a standard socket to an RCD30 (safety socket with test and breaker), are you allowed to do it yourself or do you need an electrician? reason I ask is I went to buy one from a trade place as they dont sell them in your average placemakers et al and when I asked a question, the hombre at the counter said "your sparky would know"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Napier NZ


    Do it yourself if you're confident.

    From the Electricity Safety Regulations 2010;

    64. Exemption for domestic electrical wiring work.

    (2) For the purposes of section 79(1)(a) of the Act, the domestic
    electrical wiring work that an owner of premises may do is as

    (c) removing and replacing any of the following kinds of
    fittings, but only if the work does not involve work on
    any switchboard:
    (i) switches, socket-outlets, and light fittings:
    (ii) permanent connection units, ceiling roses, cordgrip
    lampholders, and flexible cords connected to
    any of them:
    (iii) batten holders:
    (iv) water heater switches:
    (v) thermostats:
    (vi) elements:

    Not listed all of the reg cos it's a bit long winded.
    Just the bit that you need.


  3. #3


    To be more complete:
    This defines what you can do, and this:
    Tells you how to do it safely.


    P.S. Why not get a few RCD's (or RCBO's) fitted at the fuseboard and protect the whole circuit? Usually more cost efficient.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007


    Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    if you change a socket in a bathroom from a standard socket to an RCD30 (safety socket with test and breaker), are you allowed to do it yourself or do you need an electrician?...
    Is there any reason you are changing the socket?

    I ask as if it is a 240V socket already then it should already be protected by an RCD at the switchboard as this is a requirement for bathrooms.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Chch, NZ


    In an existing house, there's no law that says you can't do it yourself. IMO I find trade places unfriendly to the public and the overall consensus is they prefer the works done by a tradesman (which buys through their counter anyways). Like the aluminium window frame industry, it keeps the tradesman and the trade suppliers sustainable.

    If your local electrical trade supplier is unfriendly, you could always go TradeMe

    Second, there is nothing that you can't find out online on the NZ electrical code. In a lot of ways, the trades people supplying the parts themselves don't know (or have a hell of a time trying to find the answer).

    I'm not a qualified electrician however, i'm currently doing electrical wiring in my new house being built (my work will have to be signed off by a qualified electrician). What the trade industry doesn't realise is that a non-qualified person can often do a better job than the sparky. The way I want my data wires and mains wires to be run separate is something that electricians don't care for so I have no choice but to do it myself.

    Electrical codes change all the time. I remember not too long ago a person could wire a 2 way switch using same TPS mains wiring. Now the code specifies the TPS shealth wire must be yellow in colour (not white or coloured sleeved at the ends).

    The NZ electrical registration authority is proposing that new houses be wired to have RCD circuit breakers for EVERY 3 circuits. They also want to change the length of a 1mm copper TPS wire max run of 10 metres in a circuit. All this in time I would expect will be approved which greatly increase the cost of doing electrical work (RCD circuit breakers are not cheap!).

  6. #6


    speak to your local electrician and get him to fit an RCD at the switchboard to protect 3 plug circuits (bathroom, laundry, garage, kids bedroom as examples)... a typical RCD might cost you $65 ex GST from your electrician plus the time to fit it - of course any additional switchboard work could add to the cost depending on your situation but you are not generally looking at a big deal cost-wise

    do it once and do it right )

    There's also a very good reason to use 'yellow' TPS cable for two way switching btw 'o)
    Last edited by broadsword08; 8th November 2010 at 10:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    at the bottom of the top bit


    it's a condition of our hosue sale so im afraid i can only change the socket as per the agreement. thanks all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts