Thread: Architectural rant!

Default Architectural rant!

I'm currently planning to have some minor building work done on my house and need the services of an architect. Long and boring story but today the architect gave me the tendering contract she has drawn up. Now I am not a lawyer, far from it, but the document is a mess. She has done a 'save as' over someone else's document leaving odd bits in and half finished sentences that are not connected to my project.

A lot of it just doesn't make sense and she is trying to rush me into signing it! Luckily I asked to keep a copy to read over before signing and I am still reading it 3 hours later! Will definitely get a lawyer to look it over - it's so amateurish that if I would be stupid to sign it in its current state. It is, however, loosely based on NZS 3910:2003 (for those of you who know what I am talking about).

Jeez, is it cos I am a female, non-native New Zealander that she thinks I am stupid, or do you reckon this level of non-professionalism is common?

I have had to point out so many mistakes in her drawings along the way and the cheek of the woman is to charge me for her time and each new set of drawings despite the fact that she made the errors!!

Does anybody who has been through the building contract tendering process have any wise words of advice for me?

No help to offer, but just wanted to sympathize. ((()))

I hope you don't settle in dealing with 1 architect. I would be inclined to have 2 other architects to tender for your project just so that prices are in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I hope you don't settle in dealing with 1 architect. I would be inclined to have 2 other architects to tender for your project just so that prices are in line.
    Sorry, I didn't make it very clear in my original post - It's not the architect tendering for the job - I have been paying her for the past 6 months!! It's now at the stage of getting builders to tender for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    or do you reckon this level of non-professionalism is common?

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Does anybody who has been through the building contract tendering process have any wise words of advice for me?
    What exactly do you mean by saying "loosely based on" it? I suggest you really make it the foundation of your building contract.

There is also the Construction Contracts Act 2002 which is valid in your situation anyhow. NZS3910 was revised in 2003 to make it congruent with the Construction Contract Act.

NZS 3910 contains several schedules with a given text and some gaps to fill in. Ask her for the blank version so you can follow what she wrote.

BTW in my experience many professionals in the construction sector are quite good in the technical part but lack- not only - a bit in the administration (and / or management),

PS: Dealing with NZS 3910:2003 is part of my daily bread.

I have worked with a number of architects over the years and when your unsure or unhappy at the drawings stage, it will just gets worse.

You need to trust your architect and be very comfortable with them as a person and their ability, if you are not, it will end in high blood pressure and unwanted stress and arguments. From what you have said I would make strong effort to change your architect now. It will make your project so much easier and maybe even enjoy the process.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomon View Post
    I have worked with a number of architects over the years and when your unsure or unhappy at the drawings stage, it will just gets worse.

You need to trust your architect and be very comfortable with them as a person and their ability, if you are not, it will end in high blood pressure and unwanted stress and arguments. From what you have said I would make strong effort to change your architect now. It will make your project so much easier and maybe even enjoy the process.

David
    Thank you David. After a sleepless night, I have started to think that this whole project might be a mess and not worth the stress, effort and cost involved. OK, I have spent quite a lot of money already on getting drawings, resource consent and this week she is putting in for Building Consent but I am so tempted to pull out now.

I'll have to agree that if you're not happy now, it will get worse. Choose a builder it so critical because quite often, they will build something that is not quite the same as on plan (or a variation that meets the same purpose). Then there are times when you don't like what you see but it is how it's shown on plan - the builder may have no recourse to want to make the changes. So it's so critical to choose someone that "can work WITH you"