Thread: How to buy a car?

Default How to buy a car?

People,
    I've looked frantically through google and this forum before posting this question.

I am an Australian moving over to NZ next year, first I want to do is buy a car.

Questions I have are: What is easiest way to get Compulsory Third Part insurance when I purchase the car?

Will I need to provide a place of permanent residence for paperwork purposes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Beau

There is no compulsory insurance. Take it or leave it. But if you leave it, then you are responsible.

Banks provide insurance. Insurance companies also (obviously) provide insurance. Car sales lots generally have insurance available.

Fintel is the cheapest from my experience.

If you're paying cash then you need to show cash to teh dealer and that will be it. You'll be able to buy and drive on your aussie license. Insurance is optional as said above, but if you take your $3000 banger and drive into one of the country's three lambourghinis then you're stuffed. I actually bought my car on credit from the dealer, and so needed to show a bank statement with my address on. That was it. Insurance I did over the phone (AMI). By faxing through evidence of a no claims discount then I got the insurance down a lot. Fully comp is under $300 a year.

Did everything in one visit to the dealer and drove away with the car. Paid by doing a bank transfer on their computer as they didn't have eftpos and at that time I'd not raised the transaction limit on my card so could only take out $1000 a day in cash.
    Last edited by Duncan74; 9th November 2010 at 06:13 AM.

Hello and welcome.

Some links that may help (including some old ENZ threads discussing this). http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

We weren't even asked for proof of no claims even though we offered to get it send over, we were advised that they'll request it if we ever make a claim on the insurance and if we can't provide proof of no claims then the insurance will be invalidated. Compared to the UK, its very laid back here with issues such as this. house insurance was exactly the same.

AMI set it up with the full amount (no-no claims) then backated the costs to the start once I'd sent the proof to them. So I paid $75 the first month, then had a month off , then one at $9 before paying $28 a month.

Although I've just had the WOF (needed new fog light, $100 second hand), but then the service cost me $650 all in including the fog light as there was some pretty serious stuff that the WOF missed. Hopefully should be OK for a while though.

Guys thank you much for clarifying this. I think this could be a sticky mods as I'm sure its probably asked frequently

Quote Originally Posted by jetbeau View Post
    Guys thank you much for clarifying this. I think this could be a sticky mods as I'm sure its probably asked frequently
    I think we'd end up sticking all the threads if we did that ;-)