Thread: Air New Zealand flight NZ0001

Default Air New Zealand flight NZ0001

Of the people that have taken this flight from the UK to LAX and on to NZ, or just from LAX to NZ, how full was the plane?

Please, if you have any experience on this flight, share a few words on the day on the month and the day of the week you flew and how full the flight was.

I have flown between NZ and the US many times on Air Tahiti Nui and often the planes are about 1/2 capacity. Am I in for a shock on my next flight with Air New Zealand NZ0001?

Thanks!

Bevan

My dogs took this flight and hold 5 just contained them - not much help but nice they weren't full up.

I'm often on flt 1, LAX to AKL. The last few trips have been full to the brim. I usually leave LAX on a Thursday or Friday so that I arrive in AKL on Sat or Sun. Driving out of AKL is definitely easier without battling AKL rush hour.

Been almost full as far as I can tell all the times that we've been on it. That's Tuesday in September (2008), Wednesday in February and Friday in May (2010). Same on the returns too.

Full in Business Class last August when I came over, in September when my my wife visited and her return to UK in October. Half full and filling up fast for her eventual move in April next year.

Service and comfort are what you would expect from Business. Two hour stopover at LAX means being stuck in a departure lounge without too much to do, that is, no access to showers or the rest of airside terminal building.

Check out www.seatguru.com for flight seating and plane configuration. New planes being introduced so maybe improvements with LAX stopover?

Roger, you can go into the really nice business lounge at LAX, but I think you knew that - it is a worry though unless you've done it before. Note that the comments above relate to what we saw of economy. TBH then it doesn't make that much difference if Business class is full or not, the service is about the same. Were a few seats spare around us in Business on all the above dates.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My concern is that I will be travelling with two young children and my wife who is in a wheelchair. Its going to be a handful no matter what, however I was hoping the flights would be lightly packed as I had seen in the past allowing for a little more room to move around.

And it will be in economy for sure, I doubt we are free upgrade material either lol

Quote Originally Posted by yokomist View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

My concern is that I will be travelling with two young children and my wife who is in a wheelchair. Its going to be a handful no matter what, however I was hoping the flights would be lightly packed as I had seen in the past allowing for a little more room to move around.

And it will be in economy for sure, I doubt we are free upgrade material either lol

Any airline should pre-board you and your family as your wife is in a wheelchair. This will limit where you can sit - probably in the first row nearest the forward entry door. Don't just tell AirNZ once that your wife is in a wheelchair and you have two young children - they probably won't get it right with just one phone call - I would remind them with several calls prior to your departure and don't be afraid to insist.

If you have the center seats right behind a bulkhead, you should be comfortable even if the flight is full and it should be closer to the toilets. Generally, there's more legroom there but it'll depend on the individual airline's seat configuration.

AirNZ generally gets things right, but not always.

Dell
    (ex-flight-attendant)

I travelled on NZ1 in Sept 08, just me and my 3 young children. Air and ground crew were excellent at providing help boarding and disembarking. We didn't have to queue as we were taken to the front everywhere. There were not many seats empty, but we were offered the chance of moving to different seats once everyone had boarded.

Ensure you arrange for help once you arrive - There are staff available to help, but I think it might be best to 'book' them if you can.