Thread: Sponsoring Parents

Default Sponsoring Parents

Hi folks,

Being a bit lazy really as I haven't searched for anything yet but before I disappear into the abyss of the web I thought I'd ask here!

OH & I passed our 3yr anniversary of being in NZ in August 2010 and now have our IRRVs so AFAIK we have reached the point at which we could sponsor family to come and join us.

We have finally persuaded OH's parents that they should put in an application given the likely wait before even getting a CO never mind them actually making the decision to move!

What I need to know now is what are the first steps? Do they have to go through the process of getting medicals, x-rays, police checks etc. done at this stage or once a CO has been allocated? What do we need to do as sponsors?

Any help, or links to helpful websites or info gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance, Anneliese

"Do they have to go through the process of getting medicals, x-rays, police checks etc. done at this stage"

Yes.

Aw, come on... you know INZ is the place to go for answers, as ever. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...m/live/parent/ Near the bottom of the page are links for what THEY need to do, and to make sure YOU are eligible sponsors.

Yeah, yeah, I know! As I said I was being somewhat lazy...

...anyway I've had a look and want to check that I'm reading it right? Am I correct in thinking that when my in-laws submit their application thats the point at which they submit medicals & police certificates?

Just seems a bit barmy as who knows what their health will be like in 2yrs time (the timescale in which they might get a CO)? Heck I'm not complaining as I'd rather they got that bit done now (whilst they are younger & healthier) but seems strange.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers, Anneliese

Hi, you may have been in NZ for 3 years, but the important amount of time is when you received PR. You must have had PR for 3 years before your parents may apply, not before. Not everyone arrives on these shores with PR.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    Yeah, yeah, I know! As I said I was being somewhat lazy...

...anyway I've had a look and want to check that I'm reading it right? Am I correct in thinking that when my in-laws submit their application thats the point at which they submit medicals & police certificates?

Just seems a bit barmy as who knows what their health will be like in 2yrs time (the timescale in which they might get a CO)? Heck I'm not complaining as I'd rather they got that bit done now (whilst they are younger & healthier) but seems strange.

Hope that makes sense!

Cheers, Anneliese
    Yes medicals and police certificates go witht he PR application to INZ and then the long wait begins. Good Luck with you in-laws application.

Anneliese, we thought along the same lines as you, but we recently submitted our application in Parent Category (Sep) with several worrying issues for OH. We had been working on for last 12 months or more (diet, excercise, regular health checks, etc).
    The recent changes in requirements ask for fasting blood tests from everyone, (I think fasting was only suggested preeviously.) This apparently means some things can be picked up immediately and avoids some of the delay of repeated testing later.
    Within about a month I had a request for a repeat urinalysis. I sent second result which my GP here said was clear. Howeverm my husband has not been so far been asked for any repeat tests - perhaps more information will be required for him later?
    At least this shows that there is some sense in medicals at such an early stage as someone has obviously looked at them.
    We were told the wait would be "At least 12 months".....
    Good luck -hpe this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Hi, you may have been in NZ for 3 years, but the important amount of time is when you received PR. You must have had PR for 3 years before your parents may apply, not before. Not everyone arrives on these shores with PR.
    Thanks for the reminder. Luckily, we did realise this and we have had PR for 3yrs as we came with PR in place and activated it when we arrived on 11 Aug 2007.

Thanks for clarifying my confusion over the medicals dianeos & babscat.

Anneliese

Default Another question

Its not 100% clear from the NZIS website, or at least I can't find a clear answer...

Am I right in thinking that the application fee for both my in-laws to apply under the family category from the UK would be £665.00 or is that a per person fee?

Thanks in advance,
    Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by babscat View Post
    .....we recently submitted our application in Parent Category (Sep) with several worrying issues for OH. .........
    Within about a month I had a request for a repeat urinalysis. I sent second result which my GP here said was clear. Howeverm my husband has not been so far been asked for any repeat tests - perhaps more information will be required for him later?
    Hi Babscat,

Am I correct in assuming that you've yet to have a case officer assigned but your medicals have already been checked and processed?
    I ask as I applied in August but had a couple of (hopefully) minor issues on my medical - as yet I haven't heard a dickie from immigration?

Cheers,

IanR.