Thread: Company recommendation: pet transport from LA to Auckland

Default Company recommendation: pet transport from LA to Auckland

Hello,

Could anyone recommend a good pet shipping company for one cat? I'll be shipping him from LA to Auckland. Also, has anyone gone through the process themself without a pet shipping company? I'm trying to explore my options as I know his transport will be very expensive.

Thank you.

There's been as few threads on this, so if you use the search function you might find a fair few. I used IPT and was very happy with them: http://iptlax.com/

We used IPT for our dog from LA to Auckland. She got here in one piece but we had additional charges on top of the original estimate and so paid close to $3000 to IPT to get her to NZ. However, she is part of our family and it will be so worth it once we get to bring her home from the quarantine facility. Our cat is also scheduled to sent to Auckland in January.

I contacted quite a few places and decided on Pacific Pet in LA. Tell Josh I sent you. We paid $2000 from Chicago to Wellington--by far the best quote I received. And they had the best service as well--very responsive and reassuring.

I highly recommend going with a pet shipping company. The last 30 days of the process gets very complicated with all the logistics, and the pet shipping company can help. I suggest getting them involved at day 30 and running everything past them. Finally, don't call NZ MAF with questions--call the USDA. I ran into a last minute problem becuase the MAF and USDA interpret "within 10 days" differently and the pet shipping company was the one that noticed we made a mistake.

PM me with any questions.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We used IPT to get our doggy over. We had the extra complication that we left the US before our dog did so we had to use a shipping company to help with the logistics. IPT were great in this respect. They worked everything out for us, told us when to do what (which is especially important in those last 30 days, as egnz points out).

Maddy got here just fine. She travelled really well and is now relishing her freedom after quarantine. I would say that IPT weren't great at the "touchy feely" stuff. For instance I was incredibly nervous about the whole thing and would have liked to have received lots of reassuring emails. I got an email that she'd arrived in LA safe and well and that they had her (she was boarded with them overnight following her flight from CT). They said they would email me an update the following day when she arrived in NZ. I heard nothing. I've never heard from them since. Yet their website makes out they understand your pet is part of the family.

In terms of costs, I think we paid IPT around $1,700 for their services, which included Maddy's flights to Wellington. On top of that were all the vet appointments and her flight from CT to LA, quarantine is additional, so we probably paid about US$3k in total to bring her.