Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiving a parcel

Default Receiving a parcel

I'm getting a parcel sent over with my tent, and a few other things. What's the form that I need to fix to the outside of the parcel to tell MAF it's a tent, and to decalare that the goods are part of my (used) personal effects and not liable for import duties? The 'Unnaccompanied personal baggage' form doesn't look right. http://www.customs.govt.nz/NR/rdonly.../0/nzcs218.pdf as that implies they need my passport. When? I can give them the number, and a photocopy, but obviously I'm not going to post my p[assport back to the uk so that the OH can tape it to the outside of the parcel and send it back.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Duncan
    get a certified copy done and send on a PDF file to them!

?? When you say 'send' , send it to who? And surely as soon as I scan the 'certified copy' it ceases to be certified.

But that's still the right form? So do I put it in an envelope marked 'For NZ Customs' on the outside of the box, or do I need a special clear envelope? It's 6 pages, so I obviously can't tape them all so they are visible.

I know I must be being dumb here, but for all that I cracked the NZIS site pretty easily, then the MAF/Customs bit has remained a mystery.

Have you tried calling them? I might have just struck it lucky but when I called about a query they were ludicrously helpful!

Duncan, the best thing to do is call or email customs before the parcel is sent to you to ask them what to do. I lent my wedding veil, tiara and wedding jewellery to a cousin of mine back in the UK and she was going to post it back to me after her honeymoon. Customs wanted me to prove that the items belonged to me and that I had owned and used them before emigrating to New Zealand - they wanted a copy of the receipts, plus a copy of my wedding photo and marriage certificate to prove that the items had belonged to me before I came to NZ and that I had used them, plus proof that my cousin had got married and worn the items, AND copies of any correspondence I'd had with my cousin about lending her the items!! (In the end I decided it was all too much hassle seeing as I'm not planning to get married again any time soon, and even if I did I would probably not wear the same stuff, you know, so I just picked it all up myself when I went to the UK last month.)

We sent stuff over in boxes to save ourselves on excess baggage. Some stuff cleared beautifully. but one box (sent by DHL, not parcelforce) got held up. We eventually tracked it down as waiting to be cleared, which it hadn't done as DHL said that they didn't have the paperwork. We got a blank copy, completed it, took it to the local customs house, got it signed off by them (don't think there was any charge), took it to the local DHL office, where it was faxed to customs in Auckland, who authorised DHL to release from its bond and it arrived with us the next day.

I think that most of the couriers have approved members of staff for MAF purposes, so it can be opened and inspected and repacked by them if required.

Cheers Mamee, but what I'm asking is what is the paperwork that you got blank copies of?

The standard "unaccompanied personal baggage declaration." Yep, it mostly seems irrelevant, but when we went to Customs House in CHC, MAF went through it there as well as customs. We only completed the form once the box got stuck in customs at Auckland and we had to chase for it!! I see from another post it is a DHL problem. Oncew that was completed and stamped by customs & MAF everyone was happy! Whether if MAF had wanted to inspect anything it would have cost us anything I don't know.

Sorry, my post was a bit waffly - just to clarify: as you're already living here, Duncan, and are having personal effects sent to you from someone living elsewhere, you may be required to prove that the items are, in fact, personal effects that you owned and used before you moved here. Though as you've only been here a few months it may not be an issue.

I've checked with MAF and no, it shouldn't cost me. Thanks, will go to work on that form. So will include PDF of passport on there. Airway bill? Is that the flight details? Not sure I've still got my boarding card from back in May. What a palava! But many thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast