Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secrets of New Zealand

Default Secrets of New Zealand

Did anybody see the Sky Travel programme tonight, Secrets of New Zealand. It was part of the New Zealand weekend on Sky Travel.

My god, it gave a wonderful if not "unsure i want this" insight into what lies beneath the Land of the Long White Cloud. It went into the history of what natural disasters have beset NZ over the years, and an insight into what could be in store for the future.

If some folks didn't get a chance to view this,then its well worth a look. Its on again tomorrow afternoon at 13:30 Ch 139.

:? now where did i put that immigration website for JERSEY

Kim

We saw this a few weeks back, and thought from the title it would be an interesting insight into the secret places to visit etc.

We were wrong!!!, apparently we could blow up at any minute while sat on our sofas cos of all the volcanoes under Auckland.

Best not to think about it really.........

I've seen that program - I lived in Auckland and can honestly say that I never felt so much as the slightest tremor in the 16 years I lived there - but I still had a 'OMG do I really want to live there' moment. According to the Super Volcano program on in the UK a few months back Yellowstone Park is possibly overdue to explode in a massive volcanic reaction which will affect the whole world. And hey, I could walk in front of a 208 bus tomorrow. Not worth worrying about! (Well, I might check both ways before I cross the road )

Debs

Well said Debs! I was saying the same myself. Second time round with this programme for me. The whole tone of the programmes was "This south pacific paradise COULD blow up at any minute... etc." And a block of ice could fall off a passing jumbo and crash through the roof of the house! The bit about Welly turning to liquid was quite amusing. Not sure about evacuating Auck over that bridge though :? The Zoo programmes that were on were good viewing, didn't like the bit about the fluffy animals for sale in Vietnam though The rough guide programme was a bit tame I thought, but still a bit of NZ stuff to watch none the less.

I've seen that prog too .... it's amazing. Makes you look up and take note. The fact that some kind of a massive eruption is more a possibility than a probability goes part way to settling my worries.

I remember my first NZ earthquake. I was standing in my mother in laws kitchen and everything suddenly started to rattle and shudder. I was running around like a scalded cat ..... she just carried on washing up and casually commented ..."oh yeah - we get alot of them" :eek :eek :eek

Diny

staffordshire...but its only a matter or time

We saw this last night too and also thought it would be about scenic hidden away places :

I think it was an American script, the wording was very sensationalist and OTT. Very intresting all the same, but not enought to put us off spending the rest of our lives there :mrgreen:

I wouldn't want to worry anybody unduly, but all the Seismic/Geotech engineers in the company I work for would not live in Wellington. Not because of it's potential seismicity, more for the fact that lots of it could well slip into the sea if there was a moderately decent sized event.

I wonder what it was like here (Waiheke) when Rangitoto appeared? Rtoto is sort of just off to the left of my Avatar, the view from our lounge window. That was only 600 years ago, half a breath in Geological terms.

Jon

Watched it last night - very cheery! Looking forward to moving to the earthquake capital of the world!

I haven't seen it :? so cannot really comment on the program myself, but from what I read of your postings I can only say, I saw a documentary last week about a big asteroid which is on it's way to earth to destroy us all and global warming will cause Holland to be under water again...
    Indeed, that bus can/will be around the corner for all of us

My mother in law phoned us to say there was a programme on NZ.

We thought she was just trying to put us off, but did ring back saying I didn't think it was like that.

You could do a programme like that on Europe or America, and make is sound scary.

Why do programmes nowerdays have to be like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast