Thread: Birth Certificate Number?

Default Birth Certificate Number?

Hi all, i need some help, as usual!

We will shortly be submitted our EOI and as you know you have to provide your birth certificate number. When i was younger, my father died and when my mum re-married i was adopted and there my surname changed.

On the EOI do i show the adoption certificate number to correspond with my current surname, or give my original birth certificate number and provide adoption certificate evidance at a later date with ITA?

Thanks again guys

If this were me, I would give the birth certificate number, as asked for, and get into all the other issue of having had your name changed at a later time.

Hi Sanko

My OH was adopted at 4 months old and his name changed completely on adoption, so we included his adopted birth certificate and his adoption certificate in our EOI. When we were assigned a CO they then asked for confirmation that the person born 'David' is now who he says he is which is 'Ian'. This just meant a signed letter from my OH confirming the circumstances of his adoption and luckily he had in his possession his 'David' birth certificate which we were able to include with the letter.

I hope this helps.

WOuldn't worry too much, I used the number on the 'mini' certificate as that's all I had at EOI. For the ITA then I sent off and got a copy of the full certificate which had a comletely different number, so I just changed that and sent the new one in the ITA. As JandM says then come ITA send both, but don't worry that numbers change. I got mu Passport number or date of expiry wrong IIRC and that wasn't an issue at all.

I too was adopted on marriage. We initially applied for a WTR Talent visa and for that I entered the number from my original full birth cert. as it was a full one that was requested. I wasn't asked for anything else.

However, we have just converted our WTR to PR. Again I sent my full birth certificate. This time they picked up that my name was different to that on my marriage cert. and children's birth certs. and requested my adoption paperwork. I have a mini certificate with my new name, but not a full one (obviously), but it does not mention my original name to cross check. Thankfully my Mum had given me an envelope of 'important' information that she had built up over the years as we emigrated and this included actual court papers from the time, however only one piece of paper showed me with links to both surnames. Don't know how I'd have been able to prove it otherwise.

I've learnt not to overload INZ with too much information. Give them the basics and they'll ask you if they need anything else.

Not sure if this is a recent thing, but in theory, your adoption certificate supersedes the original birth certificate. So I would actually only send the adoption certificate.

We only ever send the adoption certificates. I was questioned once by an authority and then rang the Registrar's office to find out what the situation is, and they told me specifically that the adoption one is the one.

But as I said, not sure if this is a more recent thing? Our adoption certificates are from 2007.

Daniela

Thanks for all your replies.

Think i will just put my original birth certificate number down and see what happens.

Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Not sure if this is a recent thing, but in theory, your adoption certificate supersedes the original birth certificate. So I would actually only send the adoption certificate
    Just out of interest OH who was born in NZ was adopted (by marriage) when he was about 8 and NZ gave him a new birth certificate showing his adoptive father as his father at birth, so I don't see how they can question your adoption certificate!