Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: "Myth New Zealand"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Animal Farm
    Posts
    710

    Default "Myth New Zealand"

    By Justin Brown

    "Many immigrants say they have never been as cold as they have been since moving to New Zealand.

    Our houses disappoint them enormously: damp rooms, weeping windows, Antarctic temperatures, dodgy heating systems and poor construction. Some experience wood-burner rage. Some (those who have built their own insulated pads) are sorted. Others manage to re-vamp weatherboard villas but, on the whole, most continue to freeze their nads off.

    Recent arrivals didn't like being able to buy party pills in dairies. They don't like welfare spongers, having to get a WOF every six months and shorts that are too short on men. Television is awful; Sky is worse. Traffic lights take an age to turn green. Septic tanks, the health system, bullying in the workplace, hoons, P, the gangster culture, hard nosed Kiwi kids, racism and carrot, cheese, egg and beetroot sandwiches were among the gripes of newcomers. One Brit, who wrote [on an emigration forum]'having to park in someone's backyard and pay them $20 each time I watch the rugby at Eden Park' clearly didn't realise it's all part of the gamesday ritual.

    Another blogger considered Auckland was King Kong in drag, while the tyranny of distance buggered many, with someone pointing out: 'It's not a sixty minute ferry ride to France.' Others swore the best red meat was exported, bemoaned car prices and our 'rollercoaster roads.' And perhaps the hardest feedback to swallow?

    'Overall, New Zealand is a bit dull.'

    Okay, that hurts; no one wants to be Belgium or Norway."

    http://www.justinbrownbooks.com/mythnz.htm

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    Sorry, can't help it..., if people don't like it, why don't they just stay where they are?????? It's not as if someone is forced to live here, is it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Animal Farm
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Sorry, can't help it..., if people don't like it, why don't they just stay where they are?????? It's not as if someone is forced to live here, is it?
    Justin Brown, the author of the book is a native New Zealander.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chch, NZ
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    Justin Brown, the author of the book is a native New Zealander.
    And Abu Hamza is British.
    Last edited by whakapapa; 14th November 2010 at 12:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Chch, NZ
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Excuse my last whimsical post. Look you have posted some valuable information with regards to the pros and cons (mainly the cons) of emigrating to NZ. It is often useful to use the rhetoric messages in our thought process. But there comes a time when "the lady doth protest too much, me thinks". Then your (valid) points become a case of the boy who cried wolf.

    If you think the "native" had a point let's discuss, let's not just post his thoughts and sit back expecing the majority who are here because they LOVE NZ to agree. Because then I think you just posted this to be inflammatory.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Animal Farm
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    Then your (valid) points become a case of the boy who cried wolf.
    Would that be similar to the 100% pure campaign?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Animal Farm
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    If you think the "native" had a point let's discuss, let's not just post his thoughts and sit back expecing the majority who are here because they LOVE NZ to agree. Because then I think you just posted this to be inflammatory.
    I don't expect anything from anyone. Least of all for people to read a book about where they may have or are in the future moving to. Especially on an immigration forum.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Animal Farm
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    If you think the "native" had a point let's discuss, let's not just post his thoughts and sit back expecing the majority who are here because they LOVE NZ to agree. Because then I think you just posted this to be inflammatory.
    Sorry to harp on this, but everything I have posted as a positive aspect about NZ over the past two years, for example events, art, music, volunteering get few or no replies. So you say he's seeking attention by posting inflammatory contentómaybe?, but that is really not important. I think the more important question would be, do the immigrants that come to NZ really pay attention or have a desire to contribute to the country? Yes, they come to work and pay taxes, but a person would have to do that anywhere. Is there a real desire to contribute and would that person contribute and participate in their home country?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    And Abu Hamza is British.
    I don't get this. At all. What does that have to do with pointing out that Justin Brown was born here??

    Daniela

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    2,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Sorry, can't help it..., if people don't like it, why don't they just stay where they are?????? It's not as if someone is forced to live here, is it?
    Ach Renate, if life were that simple!

    Of course no one 'forces' me with gun pointed, but it really is not a question of just upping and going when a whole family is involved.

    Daniela

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •