Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Myth New Zealand"

Daniela, I am sorry..,. of course it is different for you as for others who come here, and I know there are more people in a similar situation as you are!

I just get annoyed somethimes about this whole "whining" about everything which is so bad, and, don't get me wrong whoever reads this, for me it seems as if British people seem to be especially "good" in whining! And we do have friends from England (born and bred in England) who say exactly the same!

As far as I read the cited paragraphs, the guy is talking about immigrants, so he is purely saying what others say?! But maybe I got that completely wrong, too......

Meh.....If you live in a cold drafty house, it will be cold in whatever country you live.

Cars in NB have to be inspected every 12 months...so I guess that is only half as bad as NZ (but I sure as heck know....I want my brakes to work in NZ).

The health system in NB, OH is Doctor....we are leaving NB, enough said.

I/we do not expect NZ to be perfect...but I suspect no place is perfect. Everyone is different, everyone will have a different experience/expectations. Some will move to NZ, wanting it to be like the country they just left (wth...why didn't you stay home then).

I guess in a way we are moving to NZ to be put out of our comfort zone. We want to experience the different/odd things.

Overall ...to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    Sorry to harp on this, but everything I have posted as a positive aspect about NZ over the past two years, for example events, art, music, volunteering get few or no replies. So you say he's seeking attention by posting inflammatory content—maybe?, but that is really not important. I think the more important question would be, do the immigrants that come to NZ really pay attention or have a desire to contribute to the country? Yes, they come to work and pay taxes, but a person would have to do that anywhere. Is there a real desire to contribute and would that person contribute and participate in their home country?
    But if you don't expect anything from anyone why does it matter how few replies you get to any post? I may have been a tad overtired and sensitive last night so I do apologize if any offense was taken by my comments. I have read a lot of posts on here going back years (yours included) and found them all very helpful whether positive or negative. I think the majority of people who immigrate do so with the primary hope that it will be positive for their own family and not necessarily for the country itself but as time unfolds, they do integrate with society as much as they can. For some that still doesn't work, for others it feels like they are at home. One man's drink is another man's poison so to speak.

by John Lennon

i'm sick and tired of hearing things
    from uptight-short sighted-narrow minded hypocritics

all i want is the truth
    just give me some truth

i've had enough of reading things
    by nuerotic-pyschotic-pig headed politicians

all i want is the truth
    just give me some truth

no short haired-yellow bellied
    son of tricky dicky
    is gonna mother hubbard
    soft soap me with just a pocketful of hope
    money for dope
    money for rope

i'm sick to death of seeing
    things from tight lipped-
    condescending -mommies little chauvinists

all i want is the truth
    just give me some truth

i've had enough of watching
    scenes of schizophrenic - ego - centric
    - paranoic - prima - donnas

all i want is the truth
    just give me some truth

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post

I just get annoyed somethimes about this whole "whining" about everything which is so bad, and, don't get me wrong whoever reads this, for me it seems as if British people seem to be especially "good" in whining! And we do have friends from England (born and bred in England) who say exactly the same!
    With Brits, it's "whinging", which takes "whining" to a whole other level! Amercian-style "whining" just isn't in the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    With Brits, it's "whinging", which takes "whining" to a whole other level! Amercian-style "whining" just isn't in the same class.
    Well that's because if anything more than slightly annoys an american they will simply invoke the 1st amendment and shoot it/them.

This is the dumb racist stereotype thread isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by whakapapa View Post
    But if you don't expect anything from anyone why does it matter how few replies you get to any post? I may have been a tad overtired and sensitive last night so I do apologize if any offense was taken by my comments. I have read a lot of posts on here going back years (yours included) and found them all very helpful whether positive or negative. I think the majority of people who immigrate do so with the primary hope that it will be positive for their own family and not necessarily for the country itself but as time unfolds, they do integrate with society as much as they can. For some that still doesn't work, for others it feels like they are at home. One man's drink is another man's poison so to speak.
    No, I should apologize. I wasn't offended, I was just being a jack-apple.

Definitely, to each his own, and I can only explain things from my point of view. I guess where the question comes from is that I have met a fair amount of resistance on ENZ, which is fair enough, it is a forum. What surprises me is the amount of resistance in proportion to support for the positive things I have posted. Obviously not everyone has the same interests but it does make me wonder if those that are vehement supporters of NZ are really paying attention to what takes place in the country.

Every place has good and bad, and a taste test is often necessary to choose your drink. I mentioned the book here because the author seems to like NZ very much, but he also is not afraid to mention the bad. Which in NZ is very brave. He does it in a humorous palatable way that I think many immigrants might find interesting.

I thought the extract was hilarious, and will definitely try to get hold of a copy of the book. Hahaha, he has definitely done most of his research on here! I could almost see some direct quotes from some of our less happy posters. AND I agreed with nearly all the points, even though I love living here and am happily settled. Although I don't find it dull at all.

It's really nice to read this, as it demonstrates the general ability to laugh at oneself and recognise shortcomings as well as successes. Actually, I suppose it reminded me of British humour, as Brits generally like pointing out the shortfalls of their country, even though they love it.

He gave a list of all the things we notice when we first arrive and we are struck by culture shock and homesickness. These days I think beetroot makes a lovely sandwich filling.

Maybe Eassae, it comes from where you live, what you do, what you like and where you lcome from. For some of us with different backgrounds we will be looking at NZ in different ways. Coming from the UK, fuel is cheap. Having lived in the northwest of Scotland most other things are of a similar price. Housing is of OK standard but the problems again are the same of older properties in other areas...but then I am in my mid forties and remember life without central heating!

Without that cultural background I might find it hard, if things had been more plentiful, cheaper, available etc throughout more of my life. The weather is substantially better than I am used to, my sons have more freedom and more available to them at school and outside, especially due to the H&S culture that us pervading the school system in UK.

For me, coming from that background, living in the place I am now, it works.

Having said that I have to say that there is burglary in the area I live in (though not us), there are racist and sexist comments, but often said in a self-depreciating way , the driving is a nightmare and hoons abound in an evening in some places. I have to pay for healthcare at the GP and my son will have to pay for hearing aids. I am far away from family and friends. But for me, it works and it does not upset me too much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    but it does make me wonder if those that are vehement supporters of NZ are really paying attention to what takes place in the country.
    And it likewise makes me wonder if those who are repetitively scathing of NZ are really paying attention to what takes place in their own minds.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast