Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Closing Dates - How Close Can You Apply?

Default Job Closing Dates - How Close Can You Apply?

I tried searching for this question on here, but as you'd expect, I got lots of house closing dates and others not job-related. I may have missed something in the dozens of pages that popped up though, so if I did, forgive me.

There are a couple of jobs that I think I have a good chance at, and the closing date for both is November 28. My OH is already in Auckland but I won't arrive until December 7. I want to apply as close to the deadline as possible so that I can use her address and phone number in NZ instead of having to explain in the cover letter that I'm arriving early December - I don't want them to skip my application or disregard it because they think I wouldn't be ready to start work in December.

In the US, closing dates may be legally abided by in that employers will technically take resumes until that point (though many don't), but if they can find an applicant, interview them and mentally hire them in three days, they'll do it and ignore the rest of the applicants, so anyone who happens upon the job a week or two after it was posted doesn't stand a snowball's chance.

Can anyone comment on whether this is also true in NZ? If I apply around, say, November 25/6, would I be taking too big of a risk, or do NZ employers tend to wait until all the resumes are in and THEN decide who to interview? If I have to apply early I will, I just don't think it's in my best interest to tell them I'm arriving in early December.

It took months from initial application to job offer for my OH. He was open that he was in the UK and they did the interview by conference call. I think there were two other candidates in line for the job who they also interviewed but he got the job anyway.

Why not just apply now with all the details you've given above. Does your OH know where they will be staying yet, if not then in your covering letter then give them your email and confirm that you will be in Auckland from 7 December.

Apply ASAP !! Prospective employer might not wish to loose a good candidate (their choice of candidate), sometimes right candidates have more than 1 offer with them...so chances are high that they would just jump and offer the role, it might just work against your situation.

In our experience, they do not begin to look at applications until the closing date. YMMV...

Thanks for the replies, I decided to go ahead and apply this morning and after I did, I got an email actually stating that they don't look at the applications until after the closing date. So that's good news. I tend to assume that things are NOT going to be the same as the US but with something as important as job apps I figured I'd ask.

If you wait until closing to apply in the US, you've generally wasted your time!

All the best Redsheesha

Just a bit of an update - I ended up applying for the 2 jobs, and I found out this morning that I got an interview at one - scheduled for next Thursday!!! I land on Tuesday so that should be enough time to recover.

Fantastic news!! All the best with the interview

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast