Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MAF inspection bill

Quote Originally Posted by antonilarion View Post
    Very useful information! A quick question: how did you get that clearance from MAF without any inspection?

Perhaps another dumb question: how can I find out exactly what they are charging? Can I send them a full inventory list and they will tell me what items want to see?
    MAF were sent the inventory by the packers, they then look at the items on the list and any risk items are then inspected. We were fortunate and none of our things (despite having the usual Christmas decorations, bikes, baskets etc) were deemed to be needing inspection so it was then cleared. At least that is how I remember things happening.
    This is why it is very important that the packers label boxes clearly with the contents and do not just write miscellaneous etc. When we called them they said they were not going to be inspecting anything, I assume if they had wanted to inspect things they would have said what and how much it would cost.

I didn't have a clue about the inventory list until last week. The removal company was supposed to repack and label everything and when the list came in they've just listed plastic crates 1-2-3 etc - so I can't blame MAF for wanting to check what's inside, I'm more pissed with the removal company who have taken my labels off everything in the repacking - then again they have been useless since taking the stuff away. The container was supposed to arrive 2 weeks after we did and ended up leaving the UK on the same day as us so we've been sitting on deck chairs for the past 4 weeks with no furniture and only the limited clothes we packed as air luggage - to be honest at this stage I just want my stuff.

You're all having me worried now although I rang last week and they said my stuff was at customs. Maybe the ship arrived later than ETA but I'll ring them tomorrow, they have my passport!

Quote Originally Posted by Anneke7 View Post
    You're all having me worried now although I rang last week and they said my stuff was at customs. Maybe the ship arrived later than ETA but I'll ring them tomorrow, they have my passport!
    Passport in the sense original copy???

I have never handed original copy to anyone apart from INZ within my whole move.

Apparantly there's a massive backlog at Auckland but they're sending my passport back now. So, still waiting...

Apparantly there's a massive backlog at Auckland but they're sending my passport back now. So, still waiting...

Anneke7, Would it be possible for you to just drop by your local clearing agency and get hold of your passport immediately. I'd not trust anyone with travel documents especially passport.

We got out stuff over from Singapore (which arrived on 1st Nov) & UK (arrived on 12th Nov) both have been cleared and delivered from Auckland....it'll be worth cross checking with your movers.

Got my passport back on Saturday and I was gonna get contacted about getting my stuff this week. Got home from work today and found two letters in the mail from Van Lines. One asking me to pay $185 for MAF inspection fees and Van Lines delivery. All normal.
    And one asking me to pay $2467!!! WHAAAAT??!!! It just says it's for charges assessed by NZ Customs. I don't udnerstand this? Where does this amount come from. Well, I'm ringing them first thing tomorrow but I have no clue where I'm gonna get this type of money from. For my own stuff?! I've already paid that sum to get my stuff to NZ in the first place. Anyone else with a similar story?

My only guess is that it might be because you are still not PR. Within PR approval letter it is stated that all (personal) belongings that you own for over 6 month (or 12 not sure) will not have any customs charges. Did you by any chance declare any objects of high value?

Doesn't matter how you list everything on the inventory - mine was very specific and even detailed all cleaning and treatment - they still want to inspect almost everything! I'm so disappointed in MAF and am starting to believe that it is all just a big scam. After all - they charged me £300 (twice the value of the contents) for inspecting a small plastic crate that came via air freight and they never even opened it. Big fat liars/scammers or what! Then you learn when you get here that they've let in loads of poisonous creepy crawlies from Oz! How does that work then?

Got my passport back on Saturday and I was gonna get contacted about getting my stuff this week. Got home from work today and found two letters in the mail from Van Lines. One asking me to pay $185 for MAF inspection fees and Van Lines delivery. All normal.
    And one asking me to pay $2467!!! WHAAAAT??!!! It just says it's for charges assessed by NZ Customs. I don't udnerstand this? Where does this amount come from. Well, I'm ringing them first thing tomorrow but I have no clue where I'm gonna get this type of money from. For my own stuff?! I've already paid that sum to get my stuff to NZ in the first place. Anyone else with a similar story?
    I've just seen this on your other thread, and also answered there. It looks as though they have not allowed for these goods being the property of someone who gets the concessionary entry - perhaps the paperwork isn't with them? http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htmhttp://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...re+Payable.htm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast