Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How safe is NZ for living? Please share your experience

Haha, did it make the local rag? I can see the headline now:

Stock culprits of horticultural crime spree in rural Canterbury.

Something like this headline maybe ?

Snells beach has cat burglar

Cheers,
    Silver

Since arrival the Kiwi relaxed low crime lifestyle is starting to chill us out at last.
    New arrivals are easily detected since they exhibit symptoms of a nervous disorder we are starting to call "Pom enoia" - locking, closing, hiding, shutting, etc etc etc

It seems to be pretty unsafe for cyclists - 5 were killed over the past few days and one 12 year old girl was injured this morning.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4356...le-death-spate

The woman that died last night after being knocked off her bike in Auckland (Tamaki Drive, Mission Bay) was a British citizen working in New Zealand temporarily - Police this morning identified her as Jane Mary Bishop.

Very, very sad

Hmm I was planning to take up cycling as a regular commute option, but I guess I'll wait awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    Hmm I was planning to take up cycling as a regular commute option, but I guess I'll wait awhile...
    Wait for what, though? I can't see any quick fix to the attitude and lack of skill of drivers in this country.

Daniela
    Last edited by dharder; 18th November 2010 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zemien View Post
    I am a cyclist and can attest to the nonchalant attitude of the general driver in NZ toward you as having a right to share the road.

Otherwise, NZ seems fairly safe to me. I have had no personal experience of crime here, but then again I didn't in NY either.
    Last edited by eassae; 18th November 2010 at 02:46 PM.

Sometime back one of my friend mentioned about Otara (Auckland) being den to most notorious gangs & my daughter immediately said "that must be the place with low (rather zero) crime rate in New Zealand"

Well, I was feeling as safe as possible here and was not really concerned when the other moms at school were gossiping about the Mongrel Mob "moving into the area". But I saw a very scary, angry looking man dressed in the gang regalia acting menacingly toward a random child this morning on the way to school.
    I knew NZ wasn't perfectly crime free but seeing a gang member in my "hood" is a bit disconcerting.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Wait for what, though? I can't see any quick fix to the attitude and lack of skill of drivers in this country.

Daniela
    I wrote in another forum (as Daniela will know) that my only severe accidents on a push bike had happened in Europe. I commuted there in one of these cities that are supposedly "bicycle friendly". Twice I got caught: Once by a car directly and once by a passenger door. Both incidents resulting in sick leave for around one week.
    Commuting two years here was re cars annoying but not hazardous.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast