Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How safe is NZ for living? Please share your experience

Default How safe is NZ for living? Please share your experience

I came across with this site and its eye opener.
    http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpress.com/

http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpres...ren-and-youth/

I read lots of crime stories and racism in NZ. Is that true??
    Last edited by CCIE_4_NZ_work; 15th November 2010 at 02:36 PM.

(doing a search / reading back over recent threads will help give you an idea).

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE_4_NZ_work View Post
    I came across with this site and its eye opener.
    http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpress.com/

http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpres...ren-and-youth/

I read lots of crime stories and racism in NZ. Is that true??
    I had a look through the article and I can confirm that I remember a lot of those reports and so they seem to be correct (in that they were reported, but be aware that most newspaper articles contain factual errors).

In terms of whether or not this represents an eye-opener needs to be seen in the context of the huge number of tourists who visit New Zealand. I believe it to be in the order of 2.5 million per year, so actually these reports do not represent a statistically significant number (more so as they cover quite a few years), no matter how shocking and tragic some of the individual cases might be. As an analogy specific to NZ, it's a bit like not wanting to trade with someone on Trade Me because they have 10658 feedbacks, 10657 of them are good feedbacks and only one of them is a bad one.

It wouldn't concern me beyond taking the obvious precautions you would anywhere.

As long as nothing of such sort has happened around me....it's still 100% safe. Any country is as safe as the majority make it. Another (probably) very minute observation is the way author has phrased "Other stories you may find interesting" and listed out all crimes proves....bad news really sells!!

It'd be more interesting to see what is the author doing to stop such activities apart from publishing over blogs....I mean practical step.

Default UN report rates NZ third best country to live in the world

UN report rates NZ third best country to live in the world

In full "Human Development Report 2010 —20th Anniversary Edition; The Real Wealth of Nations: Pathways to Human Development" here http://hdr.undp.org/en/media/HDR_2010_EN_Complete.pdf esp. from p. 138 (151 of 236) onwards.

Don't want to put a downer on it but in NZ house has been burgled and boat broken into 3x, twice in the last 3 wks. In UK car was broken into once and had my handbag nicked in London.

Quote Originally Posted by nickiware View Post
    Don't want to put a downer on it but in NZ house has been burgled and boat broken into 3x, twice in the last 3 wks. In UK car was broken into once and had my handbag nicked in London.
    That isn't cool, and I am sorry for you that it happened. But in the end, one person's experience, whilst relevant, doesn't establish a trend. As an example, in South Africa I only had my car broken into once (attempted theft), and lost another to theft. I did have my cellphone taken once and we had a few attempted house break ins. But that was it, and so my experience alone wouldn't put anyone off living in SA. That is, until I divulge that I had personally met two people through my work who were later murdered, and I personally know five different people who have had their vehicle hijacked at gunpoint. But it's the overall statistics that really matter because anyone can be lucky or unlucky, and it is a case of minimising the risk if personal or property safety is important to you. New Zealand is not as safe as we would all like it to be, but it's still pretty good and there are plenty of hints to that such as the lack of security bars and gates, and the number of unlocked cars around.

But having said that, the OP did request for people to share their experiences and that is exactly what Nickiware has done.
    Last edited by ourquest; 15th November 2010 at 05:28 PM.

I personally feel very safe here. Have had the odd scuffle (keys nicked out of car on drive by yoof, husband attacked at work (twice now I think of it), yoof lobbing rocks at our car etc) but I must admit I've always lived in pretty 'safe' community areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    I personally feel very safe here. Have had the odd scuffle (keys nicked out of car on drive by yoof, husband attacked at work (twice now I think of it), yoof lobbing rocks at our car etc) but I must admit I've always lived in pretty 'safe' community areas.
    As I understand it your husband does work in an environment where he is likely to be attacked at work and could happen in any country.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    As I understand it your husband does work in an environment where he is likely to be attacked at work and could happen in any country.

Ian
    Exactly! Which is why I said I feel very safe here, though have had the odd scuffle.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast