Thread: English Language Ability

Default English Language Ability

Ok, i am in the process of providing them my English ability. In the EOI section D: Principal Applicants english language ability i actually stated this:

D1: Do you meet any of the minimum standards of English, as defined in the Application for Residence
    Guide (NZIS 1105) under English Language Requirements in the section Summary of Terms?

Study for a recognised qualification conducted entirely in English

D2: Please provide details explaining why you meet the minimum standard
    -

D3: If you have an IELTS certificate, what is your IELTS Test Report Form number?
    08MYXXXXXXX

D4: What was the date you sat your test? 10 May 2008
    Overall IELTS Band Score. 6.5

I inserted those into my EOI. Now i know i stated on D1 that i had a recognized qualification conducted entirely in English, now will my College and Degree cert and Academic report be good enough for them? I mean we don't have any wording that says it's all in English so will the local College (starting 2001) and Australian University (finished mid 2005) cert/academic report that i studied in be good enough to submit in?

I do have an IELTS General Exam which i've taken back in May 2008 that i also have stated in there. If i'm not mistaken the IELTS results only valid for 2 years and mine has passed 2 years. I think i'll put that in too and see how it goes.

I am just afraid the CO are not looking at those College/University certs and academic report as a PROVE and seeking something else. Hope you guys can help me out a little here. Thanks.

Looks fine to me!

However I would have filled in like this:
    D1: Yes
    D2: Study for a recognised qualification conducted entirely in English
    D3: 08MYXXXXXXX
    D4: 10 May 2008 (thus not valid any more); 6.5

re D1: This assumes that you "have a recognised qualification from a course taught entirely in English". Or do you base it on having "other evidence proof of competency in English" as INZ "will consider a number of factors."

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Looks fine to me!

However I would have filled in like this:
    D1: Yes
    D2: Study for a recognised qualification conducted entirely in English
    D3: 08MYXXXXXXX
    D4: 10 May 2008 (thus not valid any more); 6.5

re D1: This assumes that you "have a recognised qualification from a course taught entirely in English". Or do you base it on having "other evidence proof of competency in English" as INZ "will consider a number of factors."
    Cool...I'll probably make those amendment. I am born in a non speaking country so during my high school most of the topic is thought non english. The only recognized qualification that i have is Diploma in SE, Higher Diploma in SE and a Bachelor in SE which was from an Australian University. I am hoping those are enough to prove myself i am sufficient.

Hmmm, aren't you risking confusing them with this. Perhaps slightly different if your certificate was still valid, but an out of date certificate surely isn't going to carry any weight at all? So why even mention that.

Ignoring the easy opportunity to mock the Aussies, then if your degree is from a recognised university then it's going to have been taught in English, and the transcripts / course details that you have to supply will show that. So why complicate matters?

With all things on the EOI and ITA then most of us have found following the rules to teh letter the easiest way. If they need more information then they'll ask for it, and you can supply additional at that time.