Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is cheap in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by ourquest View Post
    Roadkill barbies, politicians and secondhand rotting weatherboards (well actually they aren't that cheap). Cardboard riding down steep hillsides (and the soggy south facing ones have less people so you get more rides). Dentistry (but that's only because there is no peer pressure to go), Bunnings, buying used sheep and stuff on Trade Me, forum membership fees (I bet I win...has anyone on here managed to get the subscription down lower than $50?). Swinging at the playground, as long as you're careful of the jealous types. Spelling mistakes, they don't cost much, in fact you're more likely to get a job with a few in your cv. Harvey Norman 6x4 prints, unless you press the wrong button. Anyone need 150 photos of my neighbour with their head cut off? That's creepy.

You must stop doing this Ourquest; it was far more enjoyable disagreeing with you!

steak (at the butcher or supermarket); local wine (the European stuff is crazy expensive)

Fencing! I paid a 'discounted' annual fee at my club in NYC of around $825, whereas here it's about $200 with electric strips!!! Even in my hometown in Alabama, where there's no strips AT ALL and we use a spare room in a fitness club, it was still $40/month. Olympics, here I come!

eating out, parking in most places not Auckland CBD though most beaches around here have free parking!!! in UK epsecially Cornwall 4 hours can be upwards of 10 GBP (1 hr was 20p but 2 was 3.20 did not understand that logic!)
    Clubs, cinema ,Petrol
    also where else in the world can you hire a car or motor home for free! (one way returners often includers inter islander fare as well)
    Last edited by Janey; 17th November 2010 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    eating out
    Really. Remind me to load up on cash if I ever go to Cornwall.

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    (1 hr was 20p but 2 was 3.20 did not understand that logic!)
    By making it really cheap for a shdort time, it means that people aren't put off from nipping into the shops. The higher price for longer aims to keep the spaces free for short term users (to support the local economy) and to envcourage those staying longer to park a little further away as a 5 minute walk either end of a 2 hour stay isn't that much, but if you just want to nip in to the newsagent for a poaper and a pint of milk then you wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    Really. Remind me to load up on cash if I ever go to Cornwall.
    England was a bit expensive compared to the US, but a cheeseburger in Ireland was the same price as a steak dinner in California.

Zeke

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Outdoor swimming pools: $2 for kids, $3 for adults or $120 family season ticket (which I thought pricey after paying $90 in another NZ town).
    Lloyd Elsmore Park Leisure Centre - swimming is free Which is good if you live near east Auckland (not sure of the price of other Manukau Leisure pools as I've had no need to check).

For me, in comparison to Australia, (I was in Christchurch, am back in Sydney, but hope to return )..

-Health insurance is cheaper

-Sky tv

-Doctors scripts ( I do have to pay to go to the doctor, but scripts averaged around $3.00 in comparison to $20 or more in Aus)..

-Second hand cars

-Insurance and registration for cars

-Fruit and veg (sorry I do think it's cheaper)

-My mortgage

I could probably think of more, but at the moment can't!

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    England was a bit expensive compared to the US, but a cheeseburger in Ireland was the same price as a steak dinner in California.

Zeke
    It's been a while since I have been to the UK or Ireland, but now that you mention it I remember the prices being higher. You can't beat NYC for cheap delicious food. Our first meal off the plane was 2 beers, the most delicious pork tacos and I can't remember what OH had, but it was $21.00.—equivalent meal in Welly, around $70.00.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast