Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Emigrated with IT skills?

Default Anyone Emigrated with IT skills?

Dear All,
    I'm seriously thinking of NZ as the place to Emigrate with my Partner and two Children..and wondered if there is anyone on here who works in IT and did the same?

Wonder if you can share a little of how easy/hard it was for you with me?

Also I see NZ recognises more UK Qualifications than its bigger Cousin Australia and wonder how this affected the process for anyone (ie did it make it easier)..

Many thanks in advance

<Sorry, you got me on a very bad night where I'm feeling especially sarcastic, and please don't take this as represenative of either myself, or especially the forum, but if you've IT skills then spend 30seconds doing a search or even browse back through 2 pages on either the emplyment or visa application sections as probably half of the threads/forumites are IT relate>

Hello again,
    I think there are quite a lot of people from IT sector, my role is sandwiched between IT, Telecom & business....and yeah I rose from the IT side.
    The only thing tough was PR processing timeline and Medical referral, rest of the INZ gang was more than helpful throughout the application process and yeah...ENZ forum does give you some first hand experiences which you don't find anywhere else (not even google )

Hey there,
    Duncan...of course I've done that sort of thing...wanted first hand info though...on how hard it was for like minded IT peeps...so dont worry my skin is thick enough for your cutting sarcasm

and Sun...thats the sort of info I'm hoping for...insight into other peoples journeys and the trials and tribulations they faced..there is only so much googling subjects can tell you on things...

Hope people dont mind giving me some tips/pointers and what to expect
    Regards

Here are some observations from a hopeful:

~in theory, IT is sought after in NZ. In reality, it can take some time to find a job.
    ~being in NZ with the right to work granted is the best way to success
    ~Specialized training makes it easier to find a job
    ~for the PR route, you need a Bachelors in Computer Science to get bonus points. ANZCO says years of experience will substitute but I've not seen evidence of that.
    ~Going through the companies themselves as opposed to recruiters will get you further, especially from overseas. (not to say you shouldn't use recruiters, but you can't directly apply for a job a recruiter has already put you up for, or let multiple recruiters put you up for the same job)
    ~they want confident but too much will be taken as arrogant.

this might not be the case for everyone, but I found it to be true.

I will echo Ana above, that's precisely what happened with me too.

Try 1:
    I was first interviewed with my current employer in Mar'09, got selected but didnt have visa to start work....it was a contracted role & I wasn't much keen to move from UK to NZ just for 6 months contract...so we could not proceed ahead.

Try 2:
    Touched base with same employer in October'09, no interview was required (as this was completed within past 6 months), due to medical referral I didnt have PR on hand, again this was for contract role so I was apprehensive to join.

Try 3:
    Same employer contacted me in Jan'10, luckily got my PR just on the same day but could not accept a contract role and move on, expected joining time was within 3 weeks, so that made my choice difficult plus could not afford to miss bonus for hardwork done in 2009, 4000 pounds is a huge amount specially when moving between countries...apparently got abt 2000 after tax deduction , still better.

Try 4:
    I contacted my employer in June'10. Perfect timing!! Could negotiate on joining period to September'10, had enough time to serve notice, plan my trip, arrange everything else which needed attention.

All that I learnt was to be more patient and during 2nd Try I was desperate to just move on but everything else apart from my determination was against me, eventually it all worked out fine.....just thinking it was exactly the same time perhaps last year!!! Time travelling.

Don't give up, follow up, even if nothing works out on short term, keep open relationship, be upfront on your availability...someone might just keep you in view for other opportunity & yeah...gather as many best wishes as possible and more than anything self confidence.

All the best!!!

Thanks Guys/Gals,
    its that sort of thing that is helpful...as if you goto any of these companies that help, they of course would most likely say its all easy to get their hands on your money..

so good to hear from people doing it off their own back..as thats most likely the route I will be taking..

I've been in IT for 15 years so although only best qualification is a BTEC (in ICT), hoping that this will help a lot during the EOI (still working on that one) along with my IT work experience.

Regards

IT covers lots of areas - what exactly do you do....? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hosebergine View Post
    IT covers lots of areas - what exactly do you do....? :-)
    I know IT is a broad convas...Im currently a System Analyst (although full job title is System Support Analyst) but effectively same thing. Im also a certified Microsoft Professional in SQL Server 2005 (MCTS). I do AIX Unix as well as Winidows Servers and Os's without any real problems..

I'm hoping that my higher Education (BTEC in ICT) will help go towards my points as well as the System Analyst part (its on the LTJSL or whatever it is called).

monkeylover: It's good to realize that the phrase "effectively the same thing" might not ring with INZ. They are very particular about actual wordings - they might regard System Support Analyst as being different from System Analyst, thus disqualifying you from bonus points.

This is what I've observed from reading the forum over the past year. You may need to do a lot more footwork to prove that your job responsibilities are indeed System Analyst-focused.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast