Thread: EOI question about English level

Default EOI question about English level

Dear All,
    I'm currently slogging my way through the EOI..and although its considerably more straight forward than the emigration process to Oz, there are still those moments where I'm left scratching my head.

One of those is with the English section..Im a native born UK'er and while thats no guarantee of course speaking the Queen's English (especially with all the Chav street slang flying around), wondered if anyone had thoughts on best way to explain this in the English speaking section..as it bangs on about IELTS (or whatever it is) etc..and unsure how to approach it (as although I've gone through that section it shows up as 0 points)...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking such a silly question..but hope someone is feeling generous and will share their experience of that with me.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Jamie

Your BSc was taught entirely in English, so that's one of the ways to prove language. You could use the fact you were born in the uk and have lived ther (and Oz?) for many years, but the BSc is one of the easiest ways. Mentioned in the guidance notes, although not as clearly as it could be as I remember.

May I ask what BSc is??haha sorry..or are we talking academic Bachelor of Science??

In which case I never went to Uni...Technical College was furthest I ever wanted to go (to get a BTEC in IT)...

Regards

Here's the section from the Guide (INZ 1101)http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...1D4/0/1101.pdf with the parts bolded that apply to you. You tell them you were born and raised in the UK, went to school and tech there (so all your school exams and your BTEC were taught in English), and your family are English-speaking. Also, your jobs since have all been in the UK, working in English.

c. Notwithstanding (b) above, a visa or immigration officer may, on a case by case basis, consider the following as
    evidence of the principal applicant meeting the minimum standard of English if:
    i. they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
    • was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction
    ; and
    • (if that qualification was gained in New Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least
    two years or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that
    qualifies for points; or
    ii. they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points
    (see SM7); or
    iii. they provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence
    and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may
    include but are not limited to:
    the country in which the applicant currently resides;
    • the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
    • the duration of residence in each country;
    • whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
    • whether members of the applicant’s family speak English;
    • whether members of the applicant’s family speak any language other than English;
    • the nature of the applicant’s current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to
    require skill in English language;
    • the nature of the applicant’s qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was
    likely to require skill in the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylover View Post
    May I ask what BSc is??haha sorry..or are we talking academic Bachelor of Science??

In which case I never went to Uni...Technical College was furthest I ever wanted to go (to get a BTEC in IT)...

Regards
    Doh, sorry, was getting you confused with another new poster. Perhaps I should have used the search.......

JandM has already answered now. The BTEC may be ok, but I'm not sure if that counts as a 'recognised qualifiation' for the purposes of NZIS. But the part iii in the excerpt is what you are after, just a a little harder to prove. Can't imagine it's going to be a problem, but the way that NZIS seems to work is needing to go through the tick boxes, so at ITA then you may need to give them something that backs up the english by residancy in an english speaking country.

Hoping my BTEC will count though as its on the exemption list as not needing to be checked by the relevant govmnt depts...keeping fingers crossed.

currently getting to end of EOI now with all sections done..just got to go through it and smarten up and refine some of the answers using this new knowledge.

Thanks guys

You should be fine with Section iii of the English proficiency, as above. Many people from the forum have gone in on this, without having any qualification from Higher Education to show. Also, your written English gives the (correct) impression that you are a literate native English-speaker.

Not a silly question at all!

I'm in the process of completing an online EOI and had exactly the same query! It does get confusing at times. I've had a problem with the work experience section online, it won't update info, but their Techies are looking into it, phew

When we filled in the English language section in the EOI I was actually a little worried as one of the DS only just qualified. English is his first language but he went to monoglot Welsh schools until the age of 13. Fortunately when we got ITA we were told we could ignore the sections relating to providing evidence meeting English language requirements and I assumed was commonplace for people born and raised in the UK.
    ON the other hand OH had to get at least grade 7 in all elements of academic IELTS for her nurse registration despite having a UK First Class Honours degree in nursing taught entirely in English.

Simon
    Last edited by doreysc; 4th December 2010 at 01:26 PM.