Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to serve for Xmas lunch?

Default What to serve for Xmas lunch?

Its our first Xmas here that we will be hosting, last year we were only visiting and were spoilt rotten by friends who fish so had lots and lots of lovely fresh fish.........we don't have a boat (yet).

I don't fancy the idea of turkey and the trimmings and we are hosting the OH sister & husband (they live in India, have "help" so apart from eating loads & drinking too much they won't be a help)

What are you suggestions for the day................4 adults, 3 kids....just got my first flyer about ordering from the butcher which started me thinking.

I'll be eating a dehydrated readymeal. So no matter what you manage its got to be an improvement on that!!!

Why not take the opportunity to work out what you'd all like, and what you can prepare the day before and so spend more time actually with the dfamily and not locked in the kitchen. You've got that break with tradition so start again from the first principles of what you want xmas to be from now on.

Brisket and fried doughnuts?

This is basically what we are having!

A big chunk of Scotch Fillet. We've done that for the past two years - goes down very well (and I've finally cracked Yorkshire pud). We'll get a cooked ham in too - handy if you have unfillupable kids who graze, and adults for that matter.

lunch or dinner?
    for lunch just some salad, bread etc. - light stuff - preferable on the beach

Last Christmas was our first one in NZ & we had family over from the UK , we had prawns [cooked on the BBQ] and salad for lunch. Then a leg of lamb, either roasted in the oven or even nicer spit roasted on the barbie.

Got to be a BBQ, preferably preceded by some good fishing.
    I vowed never to be shackled to the kitchen at Christmas ever again unless by choice of course . . . . . .
    Ham seems to be a popular choice here - will investigate.

My OH says roast lamb, roast potatoes, roast pumpkins, mashed parsnips and carrots mixed together, good thick gravy, and good heart mint sauce.

I say, go lighter and healthier... although my OH is sitting here drooling now.

We've done either a side of crusted salmon or a ham done Nigella style. Always with salads and a few boiled new potoatoes.

Defo go for the lighter options and/or BBQ and keep it casual!

Have a great Christmas!
    Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by magcats View Post
    My OH says roast lamb, roast potatoes, roast pumpkins, mashed parsnips and carrots mixed together, good thick gravy, and good heart mint sauce.

I say, go lighter and healthier... although my OH is sitting here drooling now.
    Care to share any recipes?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast