Thread: Name change

Default Name change

Hello,

This question applies to the few that don't come from the UK

I am unfortunate enough to have a name that has to be spelled each and every time for the other persons to understand it and I am considering changing it (completely, first name and last name).

Anybody did this in the past? I'm not sure what are the implications.
    I don't have a NZ Passport yet but I am a permanent resident.
    Are there going to be any issues when applying for the NZ Passport due to the name change?

Obviously the NZ Driver License, Credit Card etc will have to be changed and I'm fine with that.

Any advices on why to not do it?

Thanks.

For all the hassle in changing your name is it really worth it.

We're from the UK. Our surname is 4 letters long , 2 of which are the same and we have to spell it out every time

I know a lot of chinese dudes pick an alternative english first name so it cant be too tricky?

Several years ago my wife changed the spelling of her first name; i.e. applied for official registration of this fact. No problems with that.
    Some documents needed to be replaced immediately others didn't. However this generally is required only once.

However very often organisations - not only INZ - want you to submit as additional document this "certificate of name change". The original not being in English will need of course a certified translation too.

From my OH's experience (with PR in another country)- OH was required to submit original certificate of name change for verification, immigration department kept a copy of it & we walked away happily in 10 minutes.