Thread: Convert piped gas to bottles

Default Convert piped gas to bottles

Hi all, question for those of us who've been here for while:

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a house which has piped-in gas over to using bottles instead?

I'm on the Kapiti Coast, looking to buy, and we'd pay nearly $400 per annum just for the privilege of having gas piped in (that's just for the pipes, *not* for any actual usage). The house I'm looking at already has the pipes - I'd rather have the bottles. So, does anyone know if it's possible to convert?

Cheers.

It would most likely depend on if your appliances where LPG compatible or not

I agree, it would be a question of needing to convert the appliances, rather than the house (then you just would not use the piped gas at all). We've just bought a new gas cooker, and, though it came set up to use piped gas, it also has all the alternative fittings for the jets, and full instructions, for if we wanted to run it off bottle gas instead, but stern warnings that any conversion should be done by a trained fitter. If in doubt, you'd probably better get a professional to look at whatever appliances you've got, to see if they're convertible.

OH was a gas fitter in the US for 20 years and says conversions are possible.

Make sure you use a guy who knows what he is doing!

Cheers, didn't even realise that there was a difference in the type of gas between piped and bottled - thought gas was just gas!

Given that the appliances are central heating and hot water looks like I'd just have to suck it up and pay the price (even if I'm not actually using them!)

Most of the time they can be converted, but I'm not sure if you'd actually want to. Have you compared the unit prices, including the delivery cost for bottled versus piped? Genuine question, is bottled actually cheaper?

I haven't compared unit prices, no, but the rental I'm in at the moment is bigger than the house I'm thinking of buying and it is supplied by bottles. Been here since January and so far I've spent just a little more on gas than the per annum 'pipe rental' would be - that's including a whole winter heated by a gas fire (we're talking a family of four here). I will need to look at some figures I think.

I don't think it would necessarily be that much more expensive, I just object to spending money! ;-) (Bottles would be better then pipes in a disaster too - probably just keep on working, whereas the mains would definitely go down.)

You might want to browse a few authoritative NZ energy sites such as EECA, Energy Wise, and Energy Advice. Also contact your power supplier, for energy combo plans they might have. Contact for example, have a 10 % discount for a one bill price plan, depending on energy output (or something like that).